40 mile trip?

Looking to get a Twizy very soon :slight_smile:
My brother lives 40 miles away, will the Twizy be easily capable of a single journey that long?
What type of road and cruising speeds are the best to get the best range?
If it will do it, I plan on driving over to my brothers and putting the Twizy on charge at his for the return trip :smiley:

Andy

While the weather is under 10c 40 miles is just possible depending on terrain and as you say how you drive. As you will remember the Twizy has a 3 bar graph along the top of the instrument panel, keeping the bars down to 1 bar mainly and 2 occasionally will ensure you do 40 miles. Not sitting at a constant fast speed helps a lot and making as much use of the regen braking also helps get another 10%. ie. don’t brake but take your foot off the go pedal early.

The other big factor is the hills. 40 miles range at the moment is about the max a round here, but I went to some flat areas (Trent Valley) at the beginning of November leaving the car parked out doors in the frost over night and it not getting over 6c all day still managed to get late 40’s with two adults in.

Ignore the range % indicator until you understand it. Use the Battery level gauge to judge range. Mine is running at 3.9 miles per bar, but in the summer it was 4.9 miles per bar here in the Peak district. But then I rarely get over 40mph.

So you just need to look at your journey and try it :slight_smile:

I’d say that 40 miles is just about possible provided it isn’t too cold, AND you drive very carefully, trying to stick to 35-40 rather than flat-out. You’ll also need to be prepared to slow down a little for some hills.

I’d recommend looking at Open Charge Map or [URL=“http://zerocarbonworld.org/zero-net”]ZeroNet to see if there’s a charging station en-route that can be used. Because the Twizy 13A plug is oversized however, a short extension cable should be taken to ensure that the Twizy can charge properly.

I agree that the Battery Level Gauge is by far the most reliable indicator of distance to go. Osbrook is doing well with the 3.9 miles per bar now - mine has dropped to 3.6 but as he says in the summer I was up at 4.5 and he was 4.9.

Just remember that 1 bar = 10% but 7 bars might be 69.999% or 60.001% Dont try estimating your remaining unless the bars have JUST updated. Keep your eye on them then when one disappears you are good to multiply the remaining by somewhere between 3.6 - 4.0 at this time of year. That does mean 40 is the range you might expect in winter :frowning:

Personally, I would say guaranteeing it year round and year after year with battery ageing would be risky. Depends how important this trip is and whether you have an alternative vehicle in very cold weather. I would assume that you want to drive economically but keep up with traffic.

As Nikki says, the terrain and temperature have an effect in addition to your driving style. My benchmark for buying the Twizy was a hilly 31 mile fast A road route to friends where I can recharge and Renault would not guarantee it would cover this.

It does do it with some miles left, but I would not risk it if 40 miles is needed-when new it might do it, but if the batteries reduce their capacity (the hire agreement says they will replace if they do not hold 75% charge) then you will not.

It depends on your circumstance and type of roads, but I would say on a good day it will do it-but not “easily” all the time as asked.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replys
Looks like it might be a bridge too far! :smiley:
The journey was not important just wanted to show him the motor when I got it, now he will just have to come and visit me! :smiley:

Andy

If it is a one off journey, charge up the Twizy just before you go and give it a go-worst case is you go into crawl for the last few miles, scav a quick top up on the way or run out and get Renault to lift you there…

I would chance a one-off 40 mile trip; my posts relate to relying on it to do it regularly-taking the weather and the future battery capacity into account.

Get going…let us know how you get on :wink:

worst case is you go into crawl for the last few miles

Does the Twizy have a ‘crawl’ mode or does it just stop :slight_smile:

Get going…let us know how you get on :wink:

Need to buy my Twizy first, not long now!

Andy

You get a warning at 1/8th capacity another continuous warning at 1/16 battery and when your last bar goes, power is reduced noticeably-but I have driven for 5 miles on “0 mile to empty” and still had more to go-kept circling the area and gave up eventually!

Check out any used deals first-some unwanted prize ones have been known; rogernews bought one for example-there may be others as there was another post yesterday.
Mine was an ex-demo Technic with a big saving.

Check out any used deals first-some unwanted prize ones have been known; rogernews bought one for example-there may be others as there was another post yesterday.
Mine was an ex-demo Technic with a big saving.

Looking at getting a Mint secondhand one.
Saw an ‘Urban’ with Doors with less than a 1000 miles on the clock advertised for £5499 :slight_smile:

Andy

Haggle. Perfect!

It can be fun but depends on what we are going to follow because most basically it is about experiences that we normally get to see and it remains this way so yeah taking ahead helps and gets better.