Another Charger Bites the Dust

After Top Gear last night I think the stardom has gone to Twizys head…
Plugged it in last night with 67% showing and left it for an hour and a half.
Went to unplug it and it was only showing 62%
Rang the dealer this morning and I took it down there.
Car has just clocked 9800 Miles so it has lasted longer than others!
Say they will ‘try’ and look at it on Wednesday…

Andy

[Touch wood] Our charger went at about 9k miles, too, but to be fair that’s the only product fault we’ve had, so we’ve been lucky. The new charger draws less power (about 1900W on my meter) but seems to charge the battery in about the same time. I wonder if the new chargers have been upgraded to address the sensitivity to high voltages that the original charger reportedly had.

Renault Leicester just rang and they said that they could find no fault and the car has fully charged…
They did say that the Diagnostics reported a’Network’ problem which equates to a problem with my electricity supply at home.
There have been no changes in my houses electrical system and I have been plugging the Twizy into the same socket for two years.
So I have told them that I will collect the car and monitor it, I made it very clear that as soon as the car does not charge again it was going straight back to the dealer.
I will get my meter out tonight and check the voltage at the plug socket.
Any suggestions?

Andy

Andy

It was odd that the charge dropped by so much while on (not) charge. So there must have been something wrong.
Was the car particularly wet and it has leaked charge via the charger?
I’ve know my plug start to pull out due to the curly lead, but not while actually charging.

All you can do is monitor it.

I think sometimes it’s worthwhile repeating the same task if it didn’t work the first time, so in your case it didn’t charge, unplug and try again. I have tried starting the Twizy and nothing happened. Switched off and tried again and it worked. Same with the hazard warning light. Took a few time before it worked.

Was the car particularly wet and it has leaked charge via the charger?
I’ve know my plug start to pull out due to the curly lead, but not while actually charging.

No Car was dry when I charged it and the plug was in because the dash was lit up showing charging (Which it wasnt)

I think sometimes it’s worthwhile repeating the same task if it didn’t work the first time, so in your case it didn’t charge, unplug and try again.

I tried unplugging it three times but the same thing.
Car Charger Fan started up and Dash lit up, but no power going in. Just lost power over the hour or so it was plugged in.

Andy

I don’t get the Twizy back until tomorrow but decided to see what voltage was coming out of the socket for reference.
It varied from 240v to a maximum of 243v
If the car plays up again I will test the voltage when it is misbehaving

Andy

Collected the Twizy this morning and the Computer Diagnostic readout reports :-

1.DEF : Over-voltage of domestic network detected during charge mode

So I will monitor the problem.
Told the dealer that as soon as it does it again it will be coming back to them and it will stay there until its sorted

Andy

Interesting. This happened to another member some time ago (I seem to recall?) and it looked like the charger is designed to work on 220-240V supplies but cut out at some threshold voltage (245? 250?) to protect itself. Renault were obviously reluctant to “fix” this - it clearly needed a different charger design that originally they might not have had. My charger developed an acknowledged fault (they never said what it was) and was replaced. The new one charges at (typically) around 1900 watts rather than 2200 watts (which would need 10 amps at 220V but only a little over 9 amps at 240 volts). I will make a note of the wattage on my next few charges to see if it varies linearly with the voltage - which is what you’d expect. I don’t know enough about power electronics to know whether it is a simple matter for a charger to simply “clamp” the input voltage to a standard value, though if it did, that would probably be 220V rather than 240V.

Twizy behaved itself this evening and took its Electricity :slight_smile:

Andy

with my first gen charger anything over 249vac resulted in the charger stopping and draining the traction battery, the second gen charger has no problems with high mains voltage.

with my first gen charger anything over 249vac resulted in the charger stopping and draining the traction battery, the second gen charger has no problems with high mains voltage.

Thanks, that’s good to know that there is definite Fix if my problems persist.
Will just need to convince Renault if the time comes…

Andy

HI there,

I don’t know about the standards and regulation of the ac voltage in your country. But 240 V seems to be quite high to me. Looks like the eletricity’s distribution company is the one who needs to fix something (this over voltage), eh?

240V is within the regulations of European appliances. Think to remember the tollerance being 230V +/-10%.
The problem is the manufacture of the unit, and just too bad as it goes out of warrenty.