Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Bad news for chargepoints

Bad news for people who use chargepoints.

[h=1]Majority of UK EV chargers to cost within next year[/h]                                  Chargemaster will become the first major  provider to start charging for using its EV charge points from April,  prompting anger from motorist groups
       http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/imagecache/article_image_480/EVcharging.jpg](http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/EVcharging.jpg)          New tariffs mean motorists will soon have to pay to use the majority of EV charging points      

[LIST]
*]
*]
*]
[/LIST]

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/imagecache/personality_thumb/pictures/user-13926-profile_photo.jpg](http://www.autocar.co.uk/users/darren-moss)
            by [Darren Moss](http://www.autocar.co.uk/users/darren-moss)
     17 March 2014 11:03am

The majority of electric vehicle charging points in the UK will  move to become paid-for within the next year, making it harder to charge  electric vehicles for free.

Chargemaster, which in April will become the first major electric vehicle charging point provider to start making motorists pay to use its sites, says the move has been prompted by the end of the Government-supported Plugged in Places scheme later this month.
The Plugged in Places intiative matched private funding to support the building and use of EV charging points. Its end means many more EV charging point providers will move to a paid-for plan over the coming year.
Chargemaster boss David Martell saif the plan needn’t dissuade motorists from using electric vehicles. “It’s simple,” he said. "This is happening not just in the UK but all over the world. In the Netherlands until last year charging points were free and now it’s chargeable. You can’t get away from it. If you want public charging points someone has to pay not only for the electricity but also for the maintenance and investment.
“This is a positive step because it means there’ll be more and better-maintained charging sites.”
Chargemaster stressed that the majority of its 3000-strong charging point network will remain free when the switch begins. Around 20 per cent of the network will become paid-for initially, with more sites joining in the coming months.
Charges for the firm’s Polar network of EV charge points allow motorists to either pay a monthly direct debit or annual [URL=“http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/majority-uk-ev-chargers-cost-within-next-year#”]subscription or use a smartphone app. Using the app, prices for using a charging point equate to £1.20 per hour on a standard 13amp tariff, £1.70 per hour on an advanced Type 2 tariff, and £7.50 per half hour for a rapid charge.
However, the move has angered some electric vehicle organisations. Board member of the Electric Vehicle Driver’s Association Brian Orr said: “These charges are absurdly high and seem to be contrary to everything up until now. The charging can be much more expensive than running a petrol car. It’s a total setback.”
Statistics seen by Autocar show that for every £1 spent on charging, 42p covers the cost of electricity while around 41p is needed to cover maintenance, provisions for new sites, spare parts and call centres.
In London, the current network of around 1400 charging points will be expanded to 6000 by 2018 as the French Bollore Group takes over the network’s management from the middle of this year. The Group recently launched its car-sharing scheme in the capital, an electric car rival to the ‘Boris Bike’.
The Office for Low Carbon Vehicles has been contacted for comment.

[LIST]
*]
*]
*]
[/LIST]

None of the non-public ChargePoints are affected (ASDA, for example) so it’s not a big calamity as you first might think - that would be the new policy where public Chargepoints will no longer have 13a sockets.

It may end in tears for Chargemaster - especially if folk vote with their wallets and use other sites!

It was, indeed, inevitable. And further out, they will need to apply fuel tax as well, so public charge points will need to be government regulated in the long run, just as retail petrol pumps are. Hopefully, this won’t apply initially to home charge points, and as I’ve mentioned before, we can hope it may never apply to L-class (quadricycle) vehicles like the Twizy.

But those other sites will need a strong commercial justification, won’t they?

[The ASDA points round here are all Chargemaster, and we are required to apply for a new card, and sign up the direct debit forms, to renew them in April. Fortunately, we only use them occasionally with our community Kangoo Van].

We all expected that charging would come in. However it is the level of the charge that I see as the biggest issue here. This effectively (when using rapid charging) makes it approx 15 miles per gallon ie. a lot worse than a ICE car.

So this will cause people to look elsewhere and even not look at EV’s at all.

Chargemaster have to run a business but perhaps this was not the best approach to the way they start to charge. They cannot just charge for the electricity used (besides they are not a utility company and cannot re-sell electricity), they need to cover their costs as well. Perhaps they should have looked at joining with an electricity supplier or advertising. You have to watch/listen to an advert before power is supplied!

that is a hell of a lot of money and does spoil the whole EV thing, I think saving the planet is a great idea but we dont have to be penalised for it…it isnt a good story because it smacks of profiteering, 41% to cover maintenance and services costs seems very high, but I guess they have worked that so far on the number of users…7.50 for a half hour fast charge would give my Zoe less than 60 miles…that would mean about 50 mpg roughly, assuming petrol around 6-7 pounds per gallon…would be totally pointless…but I suppose as numbers increase these charges will reduce…

lets hope ecotricity don’t go the same way…I have my charges at work and at homes I visit…so am happy that I will only use the network when travelling longish distances…up the motorways…

charge points have a long way to go before they are practical…the high power chargers cost £18,000 each and use three phase power, I would think they are reasonably reliable, and maintenance will be fairly low, given the current usage I would have thought they could get electricity for 8p per kwh wholesale, meaning that to charge a zoe is £1.76 to them…where they then get £7.50 for a half hour charge is beyond sense…even with 41% additional costs it would only mean £2.50 roughly… £7.50 for a half hour charge which is just 22kw…is to my mind 5 pounds profit, and therefore well over 200% profit that’s profiteering in my eyes…and unfair I would think…that does not follow Autocars numbers…

All of ASDA points are Chargemaster. Their use remains free - if you have a CM card, the use does not debit any inclusive credit, or if you have no card, Customer a Services will lend you one.

The law has not changed, the cannot charge you for electricity (as they are not a licenced retailer) this is why there is a service charge based on time.

All the post around my way are in the street (Southend-On-Sea) all Chargemaster too, looks like there will be less people using them!

It’s a pity they’re going down this route - up here they are in the minority, with Elektrobay and APT being the main runners… From memory, CM were at least offering 13a, Although I believe this has changed on new sites with T2 being the minimum.

Cue the massive sell off of EVs. Makes no sense to own one at these prices, not for me anyway.

Now if they offered an all you can charge subscription model, that might be different.

It would make sense to have this if you have a big battery, but not with the Twizy surely?

I like to see a few people email them and see what they say…

it it does not look good http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.php/polar_online/

It looks worse for Rapid charge EV owners - it’ll be like a slap across the chops at that price!

And for people like who paid loads to have a type2 converter… Cable so I can use both…

No - you have a Fast Charge cable, not Rapid Charge. The difference between 13a & T2 isn’t that great, but they’re talking about the T2 Rapid which is a reversed gender T2 socket for Leaf & Zoe users, they’re really being stuffed…!

This effectively (when using rapid charging) makes it approx 15 miles per gallon ie. a lot worse than a ICE car.

£7.50 for half an hours Rapid charge is absolutely ridiculous.
I also worked it out to approx. 15mpg equivalent cost.
This will be the end of the EV revolution if it becomes the norm :frowning:

Andy

You think? I still charge more at home than I do in the street - this will ensure this continues!

If EV’s ever become mass market, prices of vehicles and fuel will converge on prevailing prices to produce comparable cost of ownership. The price of rapid chargers reflects their scarcity, installation cost and (I think) the **huge **marginal cost (and hence value) of low utilisation to their likely customers. There’s generally only going to be one such chargepoint per station, and if you’re obliged to do long distance trips in short range vehicles, it makes a big difference to you whether a rapid charge-point is available or not. At the moment, there are more public charge-points than EV’s in this country, but that’s no comfort if the only free ones are somewhere else. I think Buzby’s right - at this stage of the market, and probably long into the future, the bulk of EV charging will take place at home at slow charge rates. The 24kWh battery capacity of mainstream EV’s is partly down to their cost, but also just happens to be as much electricity as you can easily take from a domestic electricity supply overnight.

I know now but as I have a type 2 converter I am still getting charged more (I’m only drawing the same as 3pin 13amp) what a joke, cost of cable plus this… Cars will be sold because of this… All them GWiz cars in London, I bet lots of them go.