Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Battery check

28th my twizy goes into renault to check the battery. After 1500 miles and averaging 35/38 miles per trip I’m not happy it’s so far off the advertised 62 miles.
Has anyone managed to get even 50 miles on a charge??

My max is 40 but I can be heavy footed. Average between 26-30 miles per charge but usually have 20-30% charge left so could get more range but won’t get me to work and back.

You won’t get 60 miles unless you stick to 30mph or slower (town driving) and drive economically (accelerate slowly and take your foot off the pedal when u can to let the regenerative part of the Twizy kick in). The fact that you drive 35 miles on a motorway is the reason you won’t ever get 60 miles, and we told you that before you bought it.

Two up, taking steady and slow up hills I have got 50 miles out of a couple of times. These have been days out when we have been looking around in no hurry at all. Also in warmer weather.

Most i have ever got is about 43 miles and that was me staying of the go pedel. You simply must plan your route takeing into acount hills and stop start driveing in traffic. If i ever got 60 miles out of mine i would be over joyed :slight_smile:

I might give it a go and see how many miles I can get out of it. Will wait until the summer though so I can just cruise around town at 30mph all day :slight_smile:

Having done over 2000 miles in my Twizy, I am absolutely confident that you could get 60 miles from it, I will never achieve it, but in a city it would be easy as James has said, plus the temp ideally would be over 20 degrees. I am sure you could empty the battery in 15 / 20 miles in this weather on fast roads, to expect any more than 30 at this time of the year is unrealistic .

The 35/38 miles per trip sounds about right to be perfectly frank. Unfortunately it’s not Renault’s fault, but the test that it was put through to get its classification.

You see, cars, motorcycles and in the twizy’s case, quadricycles have to go through various efficiency tests in order to get official test figures.

In the US, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets the test cycles. In Europe, we have test cycles set up in accordance with the New European Driving Cycle.

(You can see more on the test here, and more on how the [URL=“http://www.renault-ze.com/en-gb/battery-range-81572.html”]tests effect the Twizy here)

Unfortunately, the test which gave the Twizy its 62 mile range ( ECE-15) is really old-fashioned, and comes from a time (in the 70s) when cars were much less powerful and city traffic wasn’t anywhere near what it is today.

It also never goes about 50 km/hr (31 mph) and spends more than half the test cycle below 30km/hr (18mph).

The ECE-15 essentially consists of a short series of test manoeuvres on a flat road (or even on a dynamometer) which is then repeated four times in a row.

As Wikipedia explains, “[FONT=sans-serif]The cycle ends on 195 s after a theoretical distance of 1017 meters, then it repeats four consecutive times. Total duration is 780 s (13 minutes) over a theoretical distance of 4067 meters, with an average speed of 18.77 km/h.”[/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif]Yes, in order to figure out that the Twizy had a range of 62 miles, it was put through the standard European ECE-15 cycle (and as it is a low-speed town vehicle and not a car, I don’t believe it did the extra-urban cycle that cars do) [/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif]In other words, the Twizy’s ‘official ECE-15’ range was derived, legally, from a short, 13 minute test covering just over 2.5 miles at an average speed of 11.66 mph. [/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif]Or to put it another way, the test measured efficiency and range at an average speed most cyclists could beat. [/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif]Now ask yourself when you last covered that kind of distance with that kind of average speed in your Twizy. Unless you were stuck in a really bad traffic jam, you’d unlikely have ever travelled that little in such a long time. [/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif]The faster you go, the more energy you need to move the car, both to overcome friction from the tyres on the road, but also to overcome the wind resistance as the (exceedingly un-areodynamic) Twizy pushes through the air.

Since drag is proportional to the square of the speed of any vehicle, it doesn’t take long before the drag acting on the Twizy really starts to climb and the energy needed to push the Twizy along rockets.

And the more energy you use, the less far you’ll go.

So in essence, it’s not Renault we should be getting cross with (it is just following the regulations). It’s the NEDC cycles, something various people have been trying to change. :slight_smile: [/FONT]