Brake light when recuperation

Hello!
I know this has been up for discussion several times. And that the T doesn’t output any signal that can be used to light the brake lights.
Was thinking of using a switch connected in parallel with the brake switch but mounted to the gas pedal. So when you have the gas pedal in the fully up position the brake light will be lit.
I see other benefits as well, dont have to press the brake pedal to release the handbrake and that the buzzer wont buzz when standing still on level ground. Just like and ordinary car…
I dont see it as a problem, but the brake light will also be on standing still at a red light, but that is quite normal since you normally have your foot on the brake padal.

A technical question: is the current (42 W) to the brake lights going through the brake light switch or is it only a control signal that?

What do you think?

Fredrik

Only problem is following drivers will think you are an idiot driver for braking all the time for no reasons, but all you are doing is lifting off for regeneration.

Here in the UK can you are not supposed to sit there with you foot on the brake pedal as the brake lights dazzle the cars behind. You are supposed to apply the handbrake.

You also have to watch rolling back if you are not holding te Twizy on the brake.

I thought the Twizy did output a signal when regen cuts in but you need to use a relay to power the rear light.

Hi
I can live with that, not often i’m off the gas pedal without actually slowing down…

Fredrik

Hello again

Here in the UK can you are not supposed to sit there with you foot on the brake pedal as the brake lights dazzle the cars behind. You are supposed to apply the handbrake.

What? are you serious?

You also have to watch rolling back if you are not holding te Twizy on the brake.

Much like an ordinary car…

I thought the Twizy did output a signal when regen cuts in but you need to use a relay to power the rear light.
No it doesn’t, there was an old thread about this were Kenneth was involved but it turned out that that route didnt wok…

In the Tesla the brake light comes on depending on the speed / rate of deceleration, so if I am doing 50 and ease off the pedal the light will not come on but I will slow down, however if at 50 and I take my foot off quickly, the brake light shows.

Seems a good way of doing it to avoid the light being on unnecessarily

I totally agree but vey complicated to do.

My first thought was to install an accelerometer, but it was even more complex not to trigger it downhill or when accelerating… or in bumps…

Fredrik

Funnily enough I was testing this again over the weekend on the Tesla and this doesn’t work when the batteries are cold and regen is off (a bit like on the Twizy where regen doesn’t work until a bar has dropped)