Buying a Twizy...but don't know what is required with licence and passing tests to get one!

Well hello everyone I have just joined here as well i have a few questions to get answers with…

I’m looking to buy a Twizy…I don’t mind if I pay monthly or pay in full for one I have the money for either way but I need to know what is required to have one? I live in UK…I just sent off my provisional licence form so I got another 3 weeks until I get that but I looked on the goverments website and it says that to drive a light quadricycle you will need category AM on your licence and CBT test however than is if the quadricycle is less than 350kg…twizy is 450kg! So do I book a CBT test once I have my licence or what? I don’t feel 100% confident on the road for a full licence or a car like ford focus…I have my eyes on a Twizy for communting and going around work as I’m a carer and would like something like a Twizy to get to clients…

Thanks for the help :slight_smile: you guys are better than google if you have any info

I Asume, that you are from UK… The same is here in Slovenia and I guess in all other European countries, beacouse we all have international licenses. So this is from link

TWIZY 45 (347kg without batteries, 473 kg with batteries):

Category AM
You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

TWIZY 80 (375kg w/o batteries, 487kg with batteries)

Category B1
You can drive motor vehicles with 4 wheels up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if they’re designed for carrying goods.

So that’s minimum requirements, you can also drive any Twizy with B or B-auto driving licence

Thank you so much I’m nearly getting my provisional licence and then I will do my CBT test after and then by middle of August or late August I will be a Twizy owner :smiley:

Can you really do your CBT in a Twizy?

A quad bike is classed as being a B1 vehicle by the Government. This means that to drive a road-legal quad bike on public roads, the driver must hold a full car licence or full motorcycle licence category B1. Crucially, you cannot use any other motorcycle licence to ride a road legal quad bike.

I have been told yes! Because in uk it’s classed as a quadricycle…I will soon find out once I get my licence I will ring up dvla again and ask…I pray for a yes I need a little car and I have my eyes set on a Twizy!

I think I would need to also need to try and get my full licence then…for the moment I will wait until I get my provisional licence first and go from there

Twizy is a heavy quadricycle, theresfore requires a full uk car licence. Sorry to burst your bubble!

I drive my Twizy on my full Motorcycle licence but I am an old codger and passed my Bike test in 1979
Because I passed my test a long time ago I have the B1 category on my licence.
I believe that they stopped issuing the B1 category on motorcycle licences quite a few years ago.
Sorry to be bearer of bad news :frowning:


Why is it classed as light on some websites like autotrader…I will look it up again once I have my provisional licence lol

My first twizy had heavy quadricycle on the log book, but my second one doesn’t. I’m pretty sure it says in the owners manual that it’s a heavy quadricycle though…

I wouldn’t trust the logbook classification.
I had a Microcar quadricycle and it was classed as a Moped on the Logbook! :wink:


What is it classified as then?

No on your log book :slight_smile:

Log book - bloody hell thought I was old! :slight_smile:

We still use the bloke with the flag in front :slight_smile:

1 Like