Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Charging with a smart plug on a extension lead

Hello
I have just got a Twizy and loving it! Currently I am charging on a extension lead (reel completely out) connected to a plug in the garage. Was wondering if it’s possible to connect this to the extension lead safely? So then I can set a timer.

Many thanks
Chris

Welcome! In the world of extension leads there are various levels of quality and construction. The extension lead needs to be rated for 13A (some are rated lower!). The socket should be weatherproof if it’s left outside for any period of time as well.

Always check the plug on the Twizy and the plug inside the garage whilst the twizy is charging, to make sure the plug is not getting hot. Some cheap sockets and plugs tend to get too hot after a few hours pulling a continious load, so it is worth being wary of.

Lastly - I would personally avoid plug top timers as whilst some claim to handle 13A, many are poorly constructed and might not be able to take the 2kW the twizy pulls for 3+ hours for a full charge.

In the long term, it’s better to arrange for a proper Masterseal 13A weatherproof outside socket to be installed where you intend to charge up.

All sorted with the extension lead. It is waterproof and 13A. Seems to be working well and doesn’t get hot which is good.

It’s whether I can connect a smart plug to it? This would be handy in winter so I can charge the car just before I go to work where the battery would be warm.

Just like any plug top timer - personally I would avoid smart plugs for any heavy loads like charging a Twizy. The risk of them overheating and burning out is real. A lot of them have relays in them which are not really rated for continious high current draws. You might be fine and find a smart plug timer which can cope - or you could luck out and it burns out and melts. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Do have a socket on an immersion tank timer. Worked well for last few years on my Twizy

That’s a better solution. Immersion element timers are typically rated for 3kW for prolonged periods of time.

I have a meross smart plug that works a treat. Shows how much energy the twizy is pulling - and can switch it on and off via smartthings or the app. :+1:

Cool. I think your right. I won’t risk it. Thanks for ur help.

I use a sonoff pow r2 since the beginning (one year and a half) without any problems. Its main purpose is to allow me to start charging as late as possible to avoid keeping high charge in the accumulator, and to disconnect before it is fully charged, thus extending battery life. 1.5 years and ~25k km since purchase and SOH is still 100%.

also rocking a few of these around the house , no issues yet :slightly_smiling_face:

I would avoid the cheap timers my twizy melted mine ,it was rated at 13amp but in reality more like 3amp

next time i’m charging i’ll grab some themo images to see just how hot it gets , I know the plug socket can get up to 60C in the sunlight.

this was on friday during the day time temperature of 31C

my sonoff is on the otherside of the door in a aircooled garage.