Door Struts

Well its that time of year and I am finally giving up on my door struts. I’ve looked at all the alternatives and while doing my research I’ve found this UK based (Derby) company who supply to vehicle manufacturers and seem to be able to manufacture any strut.

I’ve taken one strut off my Twizy and took all the measurements and it looks like they do one off the shelf at only £25.67 inc Postage. you can order your own strength (OE is 690N i’ve ordered 700N)
The dimensions are shown below :-

The link to the website is :-https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/fixed/8mm-rod/gs8-18-120-170

Should be with me within a couple of days so I will keep you posted it arrives.

thank you!! tell us how it goes when you fit them.

700N is not enough.

830N at least, better 880N.(With windows)
More would be to much in the summer.

Try to get some with dynamic dampening, so that they do not kill your rubber bumpers in the hinge.

If the factory ones fitted were 690n then In theory 700n should be fine. The oe ones have lasted for 6 years so the idea was to find a good value replacement to the original part.
I will post back once they arrive and we will see.

1 Like

People have change it before you. If they tell you 700N is not enough is not enough :wink:

Will you have to modify them in any way to fit the Twizy? Or is it just a case of swap the fixings at each end? If that’s possible…

If I have measured correctly then they should be a straight swap. They come with new ends that screw on included in the price. These ones should be a direct replacement for the original.
I have looked into the comments above and to go any more than 700n you need a wider cylinder and shaft. I’m sure looking at it this should be ok and they are available and this only adds £2 to the cost. So I will see what a 700n is like when it comes. I will try to post a video to show the results. I want to try to get them done during this cold spell to try to show a worst case scenario.

1 Like

Sounds good, Chris. It’s something I wanted to have a fiddle with (no offence to the chap who sells them on here already, but they’re a bit too expensive really).

My 1000n are the best there is. Over 40 users in Germany are total happy. But the next charge will be produced in a month.

Else I still have some 800n in stock. ( over 70 happy users in Germany and uk)

Have a look at this.

At the moment I´m testing some prototypes of struts from a german manufacturer .(Different damping and force)

These are the latest ones.

880Nm F2 with a 0.5mm bore dynamic damping.

Opening speed has nothing to do with the force they put on the door.

About a Kilo at 2 degrees should be enough to even open the door at -5 C or less.
Slow without stressing the rubber bumpers in the hinge

You can´t handle 1000Nm without damping on doors without windows.

The 880Nm with damping even open fine at 25 degrees without windows.

BTW: They also tested the original struts after a 2 year run.
They lost 5% of their original 690Nm.

So 700Nm would be the lower limit, not considering loss over time.

The problem with these struts is, that they do not get lubricated enough since they are horizontally operated.

Renault hadn´t thought of that! (Or they just didn´t care)

The ones I´m testing have a double seal to enable horizontally operation with minimal loss of pressure over time.

1 Like

Looks great on the video. Thank you for sharing!

Where can this be ordered and for which price? I need to replace my original ones which are not responding in 0C with windows.

Btw… I’m having great truble with rci bank germany since returning them their battery. Grossstadtfahrer do you happen to have the german version of the general terms & conditions for battery lease?
…its a 6 page document with 19 points and 2 appendix. RCI refuse to send it to me, however I have the nordic version.

And congrats with the new law from Leipzig. :wink:
… We celebrated the result in our ev community.

You can´t buy them yet :neutral_face:
And you can´t buy them from me.

They will be available at the usual distributors that sell stabilus.

there are a few tests pending.
Hopefully they will be on stock end of march.
But no prize yet.

The substitute ones for the Twizy with 690N from the same manufacturer were about 30-40€ a peace.
You can´t compare this with ones from china on alibaba for 10-20€

For the battery lease I have to check.
But maybe we handle this in an other thread or via PM.

Are you still on the German Board :smiling_imp:

We have some threads about this topic on there.
I personally have some experience with RCI :slight_smile:

“Fahrverbote”?
They say there might be ones as soon as April, but most oft the parties involved think that it will at least take an other 3 years to clear all the law rubble out of the way.

I still do not know how the will enforce these new rules?
There is no way to tell if a Car has a Diesel or Ottoengine from far away.

And the Police certainly are no experts in guessing the age of a specific car model.

So without a “blue” badge, like the Goverment of Baden-Würtenberg has demanded, there will be no ban.

Are these strong struts dangerous in the sense you open door and let it fly forward? Will it not damage the door? I have heavy windows on doors. In fully open position it tends to drag the door all forward once opened. I really fear if I don’t hold the door while it goes up, it will rip off the car! My struts are original but the door is very heavy to open. I’m considering new struts, but what about forward stopping problem?

Hey there! How to buy struts with dyna dampers?

Right back to the original post and idea. I was trying to find a good value replacement for the OE strut. The original order arrived ad was fitted. This was a 700n unit and was fitted when the temperature was -2c . It worked better that the ones it replaced but after feedback from other members I decided to try a higher rated one given the small amount of extra cost involved (only £3.39 extra) So I ordered a 850N one with a slightly wider body to cope with the extra force.

It fitted straight in without a problem and the results are pleasing and in 2c it works without any intervention at all.

It total one costs £29.06 inc VAT and delivery or £53.33 for a pair as shown below. I will try to work out how to upload a video of them.

1 Like

Finally got the video. This is the 850n strut.

2 Likes

The view from the inside on the buffer with the 850N strutt.

2 Likes

Great!!!
Are there any step-by-step replacement instructions?

I will sort be out in a couple of weeks when I do the other side… but basically:-

1. remove the glove box.
  2. remove the headlight (undo the three screws without the springs. This way you won’t change your beam alignment)
  3. Open the door
  4. remove the black spring clips off the ends of the original strut.
  5. supporting the weight of the open door… pop the strut off the ball joint at each end.

In the words of every Haynes manual refitting is the reverse of removal.

Depending on the type of ends you use on the strut… if possible slide the clip on the new strut as far As possible before you fit it. Making sure to leave the section open to fit over the ball. Then once in place slide it the rest of the way to lock it into place.
I will get photos in a couple of weeks when I do the other side.

2 Likes

What worries me is my heavy DIY windows. In the “up” position they tend to add weight that pulls the door further forward. It basically wants to go on opening and flip over. I fear that if I do not hold the door it will crush the rubber that is on your video. And then it will like break off the car. Maybe it is just unfounded paranoia of mine.