Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

First break down

M25 6.15am, raining and i ran out of battery power after only 31 miles.
waited 1 hour 15 min to have the car taken onto work where i could charge it only to find it now has a puncture.
the breakdown took it to renault but it transpires they cant fix it as they are not EV renault.
the car will now stay there as the garage has closed for xmas. they will have it looked at thursday.

?? And gave you a courtesy car?

So is that normal for a Twizy to run out of charge at only 31 Miles?
Why did you only get that mileage?

Andy

It would be normal if you were flat out on the M25 the whole way, but I assume you weren’t?

Yes, for 3 days. It’s in the terms and conditions which I had to point out.

I have done the 32/33 mile journey over 20 times, always had about 4 miles left, once I had 10 miles left but its always close to 37 miles total, so 31 was really bad. Renault in basingstoke will check the battery end of January for me.
see my blog/ web site. www.twizyowner.com

Lights on, cold weather, I would say that’s about it on a fast rd

31 miles at 50mph is probably right from my experience of dual carriage ways.

Wowza, I guess the twizy might not be for me. Not that I can afford one now. Be great if I didn’t have such a long commute.

Due to all the worst things together; cold weather, driving flat out with no regenerative braking, having lights and wipers on; you would normally get much further than this :wink:

[quote=“stevan;2775”]I have done the 32/33 mile journey over 20 times, always had about 4 miles left, once I had 10 miles left but its always close to 37 miles total, so 31 was really bad. Renault in basingstoke will check the battery end of January for me.
see my blog/ web site. www.twizyowner.com[/quote]

I doubt there’s anything wrong with the battery. I wouldn’t trust a Twizy for a 33 mile journey flat out. Completely the wrong car for you if that’s what you bought it for. It’s designed to be a city runabout i.e short to medium distances at 30/40mph with plenty of regenerative opportunities.

How do you drive it? Do you literally just keep your foot on the pedal the whole way? Or do you let it off every now and again to try and get as much regen as possible?

It’s clear that the capacity of any lithium battery drops in cold weather, although lately it hasn’t been quite as cold. And it’s not just the battery capacity that’s affected - the density of air increases as it gets colder, and while that doesn’t make a huge difference with big cars, we all know that the difference between 30mph and 50mph Twizy range is mainly down to air resistance, which increases with air density. And the other thing that can make a big difference is wind. A 20 mph headwind increases your consumption (almost) to what it would be if you were going 20mph faster in still air. I hope the Twizy has both a road speed AND a maximum power limiter.

Sounds like you tried to break the Twizys 50/30 rule :wink:
50 miles at 30mph or 30 miles at 50mph.
My sympathy goes out to you though, its not easy to charge a dying car at 6am.

I agree. The most I’ve ever managed was 41 miles at 30 mph!

Regarding the puncture – which wheel was it? If you find you can’t get it fixed, I have a spare rear tyre for sale…

I have tried to get the Eco reading on 0000 mostly though I get 000_
just had the rear tyre changed as well after the puncture but couldn’t find M rating tyre so have a T rating tyre, hope this is ok.

My daily route is in traffic and so I watch for slowing down cars, lifting off to regenerate. I also anticipate the hills (not that I would say Essex has hills!) and slowly build speed before it so I can lift off and let it recharge back down the other side. However I appreciate on the M25, that this is probably impossible unless totally blocked with traffic!

The rating is for speed, ours only need low speed rating so T is fine-it exceeds M.

The thing that will matter is rolling resistance-if the new one “drags” more than the standard eco tyres, it will affect the range and possibly straight line stability-eg if one tyre is stickier than the other, it will wander towards the side the stickier one is fitted-may be an issue on Twizy as it is so light.

See how you get on!

I find that at 50ish in traffic of the same speed, I get pulled along in the slipstream and my range is decent-if you keep in the flow of air of a line of traffic your resistance to the wind is less.

I have to do a 34 mile round trip without possibility of charge. I have to accept that although the journey is mostly dual carriageways, I will only be able to travel at 40’ish. If I go any faster, unless downhill, I won’t make it. I know this because when I did try to go a little quicker one day, it started bleeping at me towards the last mile of my journey.

I’ve had bleeping and carried on for miles and miles-I find that getting up to 50ish and hypermiling it gives me 35-40miles