Fit for Purpose - Brakes

4200 miles and two year you cant exactly say our Twizy has had a hard life. Yet another recall today to fix the electrical battery issue and an undisclosed French coded recall (trying to find out about that one)

Imagine my shock when I got a call from Renault saying my rear discs and pads were in a dangerous condition and needed replacing and it would cost £750. For two discs and four pads. Bl**dy h*ll.

Now 4200 miles and my discs are worn out? Sounds like that they are not fit for purpose. A vehicle that weighs 400kg and does 4200 miles does not wear out discs unless the design is wrong.

Does anyone else have experience of this?

The price is another thing… Yes the design of the rear discs incorporates the bearings but at £750 that is over 10% of the cost of the whole car. Come on Renault. Are you trying to kill ZEVs?

Trevor

Unless it has been upgraded, the electrical work isn’t a recall, simply a modification that will be tone at the next service. I was trying to get mine done as a matter of urgency and was told there was little point it only doing this as it wasn’t a recall as such, but a ‘Blue Advisory’ . As to the brakes, at 1,500 miles I noticed slight rubbing and adjusted them so they ran free, but I noticed after rough potholes, they needed adjusting again.

The discs should be around £125 per pair, in line with the same type of system on the Clio and Modus-if anything they should not need to be so heavy duty on the lighter Twizy.

£750 is ludicrous-tell them you will make it an issue in the media if these are not changed under goodwill at 4200 miles; they should last 10 times that long so are obviously not fit for purpose.

Good luck.

Yet another recall today to fix the electrical battery issue

Do you have more info about that? Never heard of such a recall.

an undisclosed French coded recall (trying to find out about that one)

“Renault a décelé une possible oxydation du connecteur de batterie de traction par entrée d’eau au niveau de la cosse de masse et migration via le fil de masse par capillarité jusqu’au connecteur. Nous vous invitons à contacter directement une affaire du Réseau « EXPERT RENAULT Z.E. », habilitée à procéder à la réparation de votre véhicule.”

“Renault has detected a potential oxidation of the traction battery connector that originated from water ingress to the ground cable that proceeded by capillarity to the connector of the earth cable. Because of this, we invite you to contact a Renault ZE dealership, that can repair your vehicle”

Imagine my shock when I got a call from Renault saying my rear discs and pads were in a dangerous condition and needed replacing and it would cost £750. For two discs and four pads. Bl**dy h*ll.
Prices for the rear discs have been lowered. Discs and wheel recievers are unfortunately one piece. German prices were 250 € each, but have been lowered to 100 €. Pads are around 100 € per set. So prices are:
rear disc 100 € (you need two)
front pads 100 € (including 4 pads for the whole axle)
rear pads 100 € (including 4 pads for the whole axle)
That adds up to 400 € for materials. I guess they have taken the old prices, because even with work time included, 750 £ sounds too much.

**Wear parts are only excluded from warranty, if the show normal abrasion (see warranty papers). **And at 4000 miles that is not the case so you should insist to get it ALL changed via warranty.

Does anyone else have experience of this?
Yes, a lot of twizy drivers experience this. The pads get probably stuck due to wear of friction and dont release from the dics enough. I take apart all my brakes every two weeks to clean them. Otherwise they will get noisy and will show excessive abrasion.

It seems that i have to really create my brake tutorial.

I must be on borrowed time, my Twizy has now clocked 6200 Miles…

Andy

Mine has nearly 20.000 miles and the first discs will last up to 40.000 miles and beyond. But you will achieve that only with frequent treatment of the brakes. If they get stuck and are not treated, the discs and pads will be gone in a few weeks.

Mine has nearly 20.000 miles and the first discs will last up to 40.000 miles and beyond. But you will achieve that only with frequent treatment of the brakes. If they get stuck and are not treated, the discs and pads will be gone in a few weeks.

I wonder if the cars affected have not been used that regularly?
I use my car every day but I have noticed that occasionally when left for a weekend when not used that the handbrake will stick badly.
Wonder if that has something to do with the cars that have had discs replaced.

Andy

WELL THEY ARE GOING TO REPLACE THE REAR DISCS AND PADS FOC AND PROVIDE US WITH A LOAN CAR WHILE THEY DO IT. It pays to moan very loudly and to have the support of your Dealer. Westover Renault Poole hassled Renault UK saying it was unreasonable to expect us to pay and got them to cover the cost of the replacement.

Thank you for listening

Excellent news! Glad they’re playing fair!

Great news-that’s a plus mark for Renault.
I wonder if the new part is modified to last longer?

I wonder if the new part is modified to last longer?

I dont know about any modifications on the brake parts. And i think, neither the pads nor the discs are the actual problem. The brake system is somehow faulty and does not “remove” the wear of friction.

I got that very same phone call today from my main dealer today while my Twizy was in for its second service, and a charging fault to be fixed, it’s done 6700 miles and is in everyday use. They wanted me to pay £750ish (I didn’t catch the exact amount because I was laughing at him). I refused and told him not to be fitting anything unless it’s covered under warranty!

What is the best plan for me now, as I don’t consider 6700 miles is acceptable “wear and tear”. If this is happening to others at similar mileage, I would say that Renault should have to tell you, before you buy one, that it could need such vastly expensive parts before it even needs tyres!

It’s one for trading standards in my opinion,… Anyone any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Mark

See this topic: http://www.evowners.com/t/sourcing-alternative-brake-pads-and-discs/1062/23

Thanks, I think I can get the pads locally ok, the discs might be a bit more of a problem. Not that I want to put my hand anywhere near my pocket unless there is no other other option.

Mark

Some of the dealers don’t quite understand the discs. The Twizy discs are thin to start with and if they measured them when new they would still say they needed replacing. Can you ask them to check what the allowed thickness is and compare that to what you still have left.

They tend to work on how thick normal car discs should be.

Do you need pads and discs or just discs? If the pads would not need changing if it were not for the discs then there is a problem with the set-up and should be covered by Renault.

Just my thoughts.
Chris

Mark What happened did you end up paying for rear discs?

I would not take that, I know the pads can go… But at 4500 miles I would ask the thickness of the disc, I would also ask the thickness of a new disc… And what the max/min is allowed.

Free servicing, they want to push parts.

Fortunatelly I’v had no trouble with the disks, but when taking my Twizy to it’s second yearly check (15000km or 9500 mi), the Renault service said I needed to replace my pads, it would cost me 320 Eur (about 225 punds).

The month before I changed all pads of a Megane on the very same dealer for about 200 Eur. As it seemed very expensive to me I searched the internet and found the pads for 16 and 19 Eur (front and back). I changed the front ones myself, just to find out that they were at most half used and far from needing replacement.

I refused to pay anything and just took the twizy back, I am still waiting to hear back from Renault UK about this, I am not happy at the length of time it’s taken so far…

Latest update, Renault have offered to give me a 75 % discount on the £1000 quoted price for the job, which I have not accepted. It’s my belief that unless the calipers are replaced the excessive wear will continue and only get worse as the condition of the calipers deteriorates. They have told me over the phone, that level of wear in 7000miles is within their accepted guidelines and normally they wouldn’t be helping me out at all, but as a good will gesture… I am just holding my rage together for a few days until I get it all in writing and I can work out my next step. …So was anyone told at purchase that every 7-10000 miles there would be £1000 of parts needed???