Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Fitted Blue tooth speakers

Spent last night running a 5m USB cable from the Speaker pods to the Dash.
Being a bit tight I did not get the Renault speakers and Bluetooth stuff, rather fitted some stand allow speakers in the Twizy speaker pods and power them via a USB cable plugged in the front.

So now I turn on the ignition and my Bluetooth device (Phone) connects and I can play music etc. All very neat, no holes in any panel no switches.

All secure. Okay not going to compete against the Boy racers but allows me to listen just fine.

Chris

Chris

Did your Twizy come with some kind of USB adapter or did you just get one to plug in to the cigarette lighter?

How did you install the Bluetooth speakers? Did you have to take the top panel out?

I removed the speaker pod from the roof

There are instructions on the Renault user guide site. But all you do is remove the 2 Torx 20 screws and pull down hard!
That’s the hard part. There are 3 clips that need to come of. There is wiring in place for speakers but I didn’t use that as the speakers I fitted had their own amp.

To recharge, I can plug into a 12v usb adaptor and use the point in the left glove box. However as my car is garaged I use a mains to usb charger and recharge every 15 hours use when recharging the car.

I use my phone or tablet for the blue tooth mp3 player. I chose not to install 2 way so no use for phone calls.

Chris.

What speakers were they?

I was in Tesco today looking at all their clearance stuff and thought about how easy it would be to strip down speakers and fit them into the Twizy roof.

Thanks

They were :- DBEST Duo Rechargeable Bluetooth Mini-Speaker Set - Black
Had to mount them in a bit of wood with a speaker pod sized hole. No mods made to the speaker cases.

As Osbrook mentioned the speakers would need to be bluetooth ones, from what i can make out normal car speakers would not work as there is not enough power coming out of an iPhone/iPod so to have normal car speakers would require an app to power them, could be wrong as no audio expert

i was thinking i would power it from the ciggie lighter. i think i will wait till i get it so can see first hand.

Mine have a battery in them, it can be recharged by the long usb cable routed round to the ciggie lighter. I charge them from the mains when required when chargingthe car. But can run them from 12v usb adaptor if required. I have a on/off switch in the roof hhidden from view.

Can you hear them over the wind/ Road noise?

Yes at all speeds and weathers. Apparently they are a bit too loud out side the car. stops poeple not hearing you coming.

Wife moans that they are too loud and can hear me coming down the street, son who like his music says they are too loud in the back.

do you have to take the cover off each time you charge?

Also under the cover is there a space slightly larger than an iphone of exposed roof.

See first post, 5m usb cable ran round the inside of fram out thee back and through cassis to the front. I can then charge either via 12v or more usually by mains while charging traction battery.

Here is a picture of under the cover.
Not my bluetooth speakers.

Also see this template for the speakers.Twizy speaker template.pdf (German Site.)

Well a Wowee speaker should fit in the middle, not sure if it will resonate enough, the roof on the otherhand would be Ideal.

I suppose a hole could be cut in the steel. But getting a bit out of my comfort zone there.:rolleyes:

It was easier than expected :lol:

Now you’re talking :lol:

Hi Osbrook,

I can see you have been very helpful already and provided lots of useful info on your way to get music in the Twizy. I’m about to follow your lead to the letter and if you could possibly be so kind as to help further…hopefully negating the strong potential that I may just bugger up my new prized possession…I would love you to clarify a few points of the step by step process below:

1. remove the 2 torx 20 screws in the pod… then pull down hard.
  2. remove 3 clips (im sure I can figure out which and where when I open it up.
    3)mount the Dbest speakers in there in some wood. # Q. what size, shape etc…?
  3. run a 5 m long usb cable to the dash. #Q. how did you access behind the trim that runs to the front? #Q. what lead is this as I cant see it available with the speakers?
  4. #Q. where and how did you install a switch… and where can I buy this too?
    6)#Q. Can yo recommend a suitable USB 12V adaptor?
    #Q…how much time should i allow to do all this?
    Your help is very very much appreciated… if you could provide any links etc to the specific things you bought, that would be amazing.

Much appreciated

Matt
Twizy log… Day 14… and in need of some tunes!

PS… how do you adjust the volume?.. or did you just pick a volume before finalising the fittting, and now you live with the single volume?

Hi Matt

1. remove the 2 torx 20 screws in the pod… then pull down hard. > Horrible cracking noise.
  2. remove 3 clips (im sure I can figure out which and where when I open it up).
    3)mount the Dbest speakers in there in some wood. # Q. what size, shape etc…? > I’m sure you will figure it out once you have it open. I used some 6 mm ply and a hole saw to mount the speakers… I put some foam round the edge of the wood to stop noise and any movement.
  3. run a 5 m long usb cable to the dash. #Q. how did you access behind the trim that runs to the front? > Not easy - But I inserted the cable into the frame from the Speaker end and fed it down into the boot and then again down out side. I then fed it down one of the chassis member tot he front under the bonnet where it is fed back inside and up round the left hand side to the glove box.
    #Q. what lead is this as I cant see it available with the speakers? > Any 5m USB lead
  4. #Q. where and how did you install a switch… and where can I buy this too? > The switch is any small switch that I soldered to the speaker switch and mounted on a small piece of plastic that then fits under the Speaker pod screw so it is hidden to all but the passenger. The driver simply puts their hand up above their head and back a bit to switch it on/ off. Any small switch that is surface mountable will do.
    6)#Q. Can yo recommend a suitable USB 12V adaptor? I got a twin high current one from ebay like this But not required unless you want to charge from the 12V socket. I charge mine from a mains adaptor once a week when I charge the car.
    #Q…how much time should i allow to do all this? > Really :slight_smile: looking at your questions then several hours.
    Your help is very very much appreciated… if you could provide any links etc to the specific things you bought, that would be amazing.
    Most stuff is generic.

I added to it, along side the twin Bluetooth speakers I added a Surface driver that now uses the roof as a Base speaker. It was worth doing but isn’t anything fantastic. Again mounted in the overhead speaker pod so is hidden.

Volume on the speakers is Max and then controlled by the Phone.

lol - i’ll allow the whole weekend to be sure!!

Cheers for the extra info Osbrook.
I’ll have to get my head aroud this bit " I inserted the cable into the frame from the Speaker end and fed it down into the boot and then again down out side. I then fed it down one of the chassis member tot he front under the bonnet where it is fed back inside and up round the left hand side to the glove box." … when im in front of the car, it’ll make more sense.

The Switch looks like it might be my biggest headache… could you please send me a link this particular part if possible?

Cheers for your help once again. Much appreciated!