Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Future electric cars...what do we want

I think we all want the same, more power and more range…

I think in 10 years petrol cars will be dead, on their way out except for the most potent of machines.

The only limiting factor for electric cars as I see it is the range, not the power…electric motors can be a lot more powerful than a petrol engine.

if we get coils in the roadways and on the move charging and cheaper electricity using solar wind and nuclear and biomass then we will be able to run electric vehicles without stopping…no need to worry about charre points…

my thoughts anyway…

1. in 10 years petrol cars will be still around in rather large numbers. I don’t like the idea, but it’s just the way it will be. 2. Indeed we want more range & like u said yourself power is already good as it is. 3. “electri motors can be a lot more powerfull than petrol engines” that is, dare I say it(?), bullsh*t. In both cases - the sky is the limit. 4. Getting power from inductive coils will be great but the technology is not good enough as it is today. It might never be. The two main issues are that there is a little over 10% energy loss (wich is a lot!!) and that both coils have to be very close to each other, wich leaves no safe/praticle ground clearance for the vehicle. In conclusion - the main focus today is to make charging faster and faster while keeping it safe for the battery and the people that use it. This last sentence i pretty muich stole from Elon Musk himself. Even he admits that better batterys for the consumermarket are ages away. His tesla puts the focus on faster charging and a better network of fastchargers. I.m.o. Tesla is doing a fantastic job.

…electric can be **and are more powerful **than petrol engines…full stop

‘Ages away’ is just time and development, as more people develop them they will appear faster and faster…what he is saying though is that better batteries are coming…

agree about tesla fantastic car and fantastic vision, hope he never comes on here he will be poo pooed by you ( IN THE GENERAL) in no time…

question…

what is the biggest petrol enngine ever…pratt and whitney aircraft engine, I WOULD GUESS dont quote me but around 4000PLUS shp…
what is the biggest electric motor ever no idea but I bet you its A DARN SIGHT MORE POWERFUL THAN A PRATT AND WHITNEY RADIAL ENGINE…’.some of these ships engines are around 100,000 shp…bit more than 4000 hp…

note to myself’ must not mention caves, must not mention caves…

For me it is the availability of charging to fit in with my lifestyle, so if petrol stations stocked fully charged exchange batteries that simply slid into place at one end of the car and were of universal size and fitment (maybe 2 or 3 sizes/specs would be needed to suit all applications) and just charged you for the amount of power used on the battery being swapped in, it would be far better.

They do this on Fluence taxis in Holland and it seems to work well, but the system to change power packs is complex and needs expensive hardware.

A combination of more charging points, more fast charging and the possibility of power pack swaps on demand would see me back in the EV circuit.

As the tech is fairly new, it would be best to standardise all chargers, plugs, socket etc and design interchangeable power packs-and then design the next range around these packs; eg pack size 1: Twizy and similar 2: ZOE and similar 3: Fluence, Leaf, Prius and similar. A simple slide in unit and connectors which fits into the rear bumper and had retractable wheels to move it would be easy to design. It would also need some security to stop it being stolen and would be useful if it could be removed completely and wheeled into the house, office, flat etc to charge it and keep it warm in the winter. This would open up the market to potential EV owners who live in a flat or have on street parking and nowhere to charge at home too.

To take it further, BH could include all charging from the points and exchange units in one easy monthly payment by using a BH card.

What is needed is a strong visionary of EV who can get manufacturers to all use the same pack styles and standardise everything, now, at this early stage.

It will be years before EVs are a true mainstream alternative to conv fuel cars, but quicker if they implemented these ideas now. Once a new EV is available at the same cost as standard cars if you factor in fuel and BH and can be used as simply, the market will take off.

yes fully agree…battery swap would remove battery life anxiety, plus allow for easier upgrades as battery tech improves…

yes price is still a barrier but thats just because the numbers of owners is low for now…it will change…

I see you say you love small fun cars, me too, i have a collection of very special ford racing pumas, great fun cars very capable and with my mods very very fast…

Sure-fire future classic car, those-many of them are dying from rusty rear arches failing the MOT now so worth holding onto for the years ahead

On the power issue : That’s not the point. Mankind can make electricmotors as well as petrolengines as powerfull as we want. Sky is the limit. On large ships people fit fuel engines that put out more than 100.000 kWatts. Now I know those do not use petrol, but instead other fossil fuel types. But the idea fits non-the-less. BTW: Don’t forget that I am huge supporter of the electric movement and i would choose eletric transportation over fossilfuel powered transportation any day. But in the end, electric doesn’t beat alternatives at everything. cheers.

yes I know what you mean, didn’t really mean to disagree as you are right, just that I was saying that electric motors can be as powerful if people want power in a car…ie the tesla is a great example of a no compromise electric car…

i am so glad to hear you say that about electric over fossil, my place too…

we do have to get solar wind and other forms of non destructive energy other than coal and gas to make the electric though…I LIKE NUCLEAR POWER TOO, IF ITS GOOD FOR THE UNIVERSE IT HAS TO BE GOOD FOR US…THATS MY MOTTO…

ROLL ON BETTER ELECTRIC CARS AND CHEAPER ELECTRIC…YEE HAAAA…