Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Got my twizy

I got my twizy a few days ago…already done 350 miles in it. I travel to and from work a journey of 18 miles one way.

So far the longest run I have done is 35.3 miles, ending with 19% battery…not bad me thinks, this was a mix of motorway about 10 miles and twisty A roads…I started at 50 mph on the motorway but felt it was using too much power so dropped to 40 and 45 and this seemed fine. On the A roads i stayed at about 40 mph most of the way…I will do this journey every friday morning and I plan to monitor it to see how hard i can go before I RISK NOT MAKING IT HOME…

am pleased with it but the doors are a pain and the cold feet not great…it really needs proper clam shell doors that seal a bit better and I would prefer it with 60 mph and 60 miles per charge, 45-50 miles just isnt enough in my humble opinion…and 52 mph just a bit too slow at times…

But still its what it is and I am going to keep driving it…even if the economics are not as great as they at first seem and even if my feet get cold…in 4 years there will be better models I am sure and hopefully they will make a better motor or even better battery for it as an upgrade in a few years…

How have you managed such high miles in such a short space of time, have you actually been home yet? :lol:

just clocked up 3,600 miles in the twizy

Careful, you’ll need to replace the brakes soon :wink:

i rarely use the brakes, use the regen all the time…

In the harshest conditions this winter I bought some fur lined boots and a (very old fashioned) sheepskin coat. Ski gloves and a hat added to the fashion crisis but I was never cold. If I was walking or cycling to work it would be the same and I figure it is all part of saving energy and being minimalistic. It still beats riding the bike to work and getting soaked in the rain and far less dangerous.

Providing you cater for the wind-chill, which is largely limited to the back of the neck, we always reckon you only need to wear what you would wear when outside the car in the open air - you just don’t have to take it off. If you’re happy to travel that way, a Twizy can easily achieve the energy cost per passenger mile of the most efficient mass transit systems, which is pretty remarkable.

Driving a Twizy is somewhere about half the running cost of the air conditioning system alone in most cars… :wink:

Many cars will use an additional litre of fuel an hour ticking over running the air conditioning = £1.43ish and the Twizy is about 82p to charge and I’d guess most of us will have used a full charge in an hours constant driving out of town while traveling.

Very Eco :slight_smile:

As a sustainability consultant I do have to point out the bicycle does win for travel and has great health benefits. But also there’s nothing Eco about a bicycle manufactured, shipped 1/3 of the way around the world just to rust in a shed… That’s a waste of embedded energy and resources.

The irony for us here is since owning the Twizy we now do a lot more miles going places just to enjoy them!

However as an overall sustainability thing with things we’ve done in the house we’ve cut the household consumption between the 2 of us here to 1/3 of what it was before, the Twizy has added 1/3 of the electrical consumption back and got rid of nearly all our petrol use (we use about £60 a month in petrol in our 17year old Golf and massively reduced the wear and tear on it) and still using 1/3 less energy in the home over all.

One of the things I like about the Twizy is as a vehicle it has a relatively low embedded footprint. Minimal resources went into making it. It has the Lithium in the batteries, rare earth magnets and electronics, however, it does only use enough of them to make functional and fun transport.

One of the Execs of Ford once said “Personal transport [like the Twizy] is the way forward for our planet” I totally agree. :slight_smile:

Absolutely, although someone obliged to defend the ludicrous proposition that an electric bike produces less fossil carbon than a normal bike calculated that if the rider’s diet consisted exclusively of Walker’s crisps, it would be a close run thing.:smiley:

[SMUG] We have solar panels [/SMUG] so a lot of the time we’re not adding much to our electricity bill. But like you the reduction in mileage on our diesel car, PLUS the fact that the diesel car is now much more efficient because it only gets to do trips where it can warm up properly, is all part of the saving,

An electric bike charged on solar tips the balance :wink: It is an interesting calculation to do and a great example of how sometimes doing the seemingly illogical and opposite to the obvious actually achieves better results.

What I’ve been finding over the last few years is that we do illogical and obviously wrong things because we are miss-informed.

Stuff like “leaving the computer on uses no more power than turning it off” - Yes it does, hugely so! In fact for many reasons you are best switching it all off at the wall when you are finished. Apart from the obvious 75% energy saving in an office environment, the other benefits are much greater:- computers last a lot longer (as the power supply and system board components aren’t constantly on power as they are when plugged in and switched off) and there’s no a single computer that can run malware overnight or be hacked without power.

If you are providing the electrical consumption of your car with grid tied solar, you are actually getting paid to drive it. The concept was so fascinating that I had to double check the maths on it. It does work out that way :slight_smile:

Well, in terms of the electricity that’s certainly true, but you need to factor in the 8p a mile of battery rental, don’t you? :slight_smile:

I’m a bit concerned about you using it on a motorway. My hazard id and risk assessment led me to avoid them. I’m not that happy on some fast dual carriage way roads too. Fortunately my commute is through leafy Sussex lanes where collisions with Deer are my main concern.

Paul

I agree - assuming you have the choice! I tend to avoid main roads - although funnily enough dual carriageways are less stressful than two-way ‘A’ roads, because you don’t get hassled to drive faster than you want. Driving back-roads is just more relaxing, and since only local traffic uses them, you don’t hold anyone up in either direction. Nor does a Twizy contribute (as much) to traffic pollution and hazard for back-road residents and villages.