Got my zoe

Okay got my zoe, its going to be a big learning curve now.

first issues:-

no charging point at home or work as it does not plug into single phase 3 pin sockets, bad oversight…and very annoying…
my charge point at one place arrives Monday, okay goo but its 35 miles from home.
my home charging point arrives on the 26th

it takes 10 days for the Ecotricity card to arrive, and three days for the source london card to arrive and a few days for the PiM car to arrive…I have paid my subscription fees but now have to wait before I can use the points…so for now I cannot charge the old girl…

and people wonder why they are not selling electric vehicles, its a complete pain in the butt…they say they want to promote the use of electric vehicles but it takes days and weeks to register and get the card…

No matter I will persevere, it just means I have four days of going very very carefully with the Zoe as i have no way to charge it or top it up…the zoe is apparently going to get a 3 pin top up cable but not yet…I cannot for the life of me see why they could not fit a 25 or even a 30 kw battery pack, to have stayed with 22kw is ludicrous…its almost as if they don’t actually want to sell these cars…but hey ho, I have put my money where my mouth is, I love the car, its useless for fun driving, its about amenity and I love the free use of green electricity…I will charge it at home from solar and from work using solar…as to the range apparently the best it has done is 96 miles on a full charge, not 130 ?I will be working hard to get over 100 miles to a charge…

the Tesla has it right but that’s just too expensive at 90,000 pounds…

renault, ford and nissan, listen, we need a 30 kw battery pack with real world 100 mile range, not 60…or 80 or 90 but 100 miles, we need 1 hour charging maximum, half hour for 80%…and by heck we need more charging points…especially ones we can simply turn up at and charge away without cards or membership fees or other codswallop…

I say again no wonder electric vehicle take up is slow…no one wants us to realise that they are as good as petrol/diesel cars, just as reliable and practical and they will help save the planet…(as long as we go for more renewable electricity production…

Look forward to some pics of it, shame you can’t use the car.
As you say, quite a few things to get sorted before these cars start to get sold in any numbers.
Wouldnt be that hard for a company the size of Renault to be able to get you up and running at the same time as the car arrives.
My ZE dealer has charging points on their site, co.uld you use your dealers ?

no because its in their workshop and not readily accessible so going to try another Renault garage, SMC are not very switched on in my opinion. I do not find them at all easy to deal with…I think they are genuine in their intentions but basically in-competent…

Also from a full charge it has showing a total of just 68 miles, that doesn’t seem very good at all…22kw battery is useless…to be frank, hopefully in the coming years they will increase this to 30 kw, a much more realistic size and will bring the range up to a real world 100miles per charge, not 60/70…very disappointed with it in that respect, as a basic car its okay, good torque, good driving position if limited in movement, and the multimedia is cool…

Maybe the range thing is as poor as the Twizy. Mine usually shows about 38 miles in this temp. I left it parked for about 4 days last week, and it showed 50 when fully charged :confused:
after less than a mile it was down to 34 :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry too much about what the rangemeter says, because it depends so much on how you drove just previously. Say, you have been driving flat out on your last trip, and you fully charge the Twizy for your next trip, it will probably show a 30 miles range. But if you start to drive gently the range will actually increase to more than the 30 you started off with. I think using the bars in the charge gauge is a better indicator.

Askho is right, I live on top of a hill so the Twizy range estimate is always below what I’ll get. Once you get used to the Zoe the battery bars may well mean more. But it is getting to that point. I see some have got more that 130miles out of a Zoe charge, so it can be done but in better weather.

Yea I am well aware of this, but if you leave the Twizy and don’t use it, the range goes up :slight_smile:

After a few days of non use I wonder if the computer resets itself to the factory default range ie. a rather optimistic 50 miles.

well so far the most i have had out of it is 85 miles, and that ws not going above 55mph…she is a lovely drive and I now have my cards for free chargiong at the ecotricity points on the motorways, my mum and dad have their charge point in today and I am getting mine in 2 weeks, my office one is going in next week and I will have one at my fiance’s place in a few days…nearly done. drove to oxford on suday with her, only 55 miles but charged at chievely on the way up and back as i dont have any chargig at home yet…heating is not great and if it is reeally cold outside seems it is very slow to warm up, and only on auto…doesnt seem right, may have to look at the manual…this car needs a 30 kw battery pack i am sure of that…

it is a lot of fun driving her…I feel so sanctimonious about all the gas guzzlers that go flying past me poluting the air and costing them a fortune…love it a lot…

still need a realisitc 150 mile range car…this is not it…but its great all the same…

charged at fleet services met a nice man in a very ugly leaf, dc charger and takes over an hour, zoe only takes 45 minutes at worst…so far its only taken half an hour to get to full charge when arriving with 20% charge left…

I have contacted Zeronet and am going to put a pay as you go charger at my place in Normandy guildford. I will charge 2.00 this is not the cost of the electric which would be around 2.50, but assuming no one will arrive totally empty it will be enough and I will donate 50p to the Zeronet network so that they can pay for more chargers…I will have three types of chargers, three pin plug, 5 pin 32 amp 7 kw charger and a faster three phase 22 kw charger which will do a zoe in just over an hour…plan to have a seating area and a coffee machine and TV…the site is secure and access is by a manned 24/7 gate…you can park for as long as you need…you can during daylight hours have a look at my military collection, i have over 60 military vehicles of the cold war…they will be set up in a museum in the near future…

will post the address once its ready to go

Hate to rain on your parade, but this reminds me of the entrepreneurs who, in the late 50’s, thought it a good idea to put a za Tv In a room and charge folk to watch it! After the first flush of interest, it failed, (for a variety of reasons).

You are not permitted to sell your electricity - you need a licence for that. Selling related services are fine - however I can tell you like those who charge for WiFi and wonder why it’s not bring used, amaze me. I would only use a pay site if there was nothing nearby.

Indeed, I offered my own point FoC to anyone that needed it - in 3 years I had 3 uses (one person came back for a blather). When my local ASDA installed its own ChargeMaster posts, I delisted mine as access was easier, and it gad a coffee shop.

Unless you are in a strategic location with no competition from free alternatives, the efforts will be in vain.

Got to agree but I have other reasons and mine will be a fast charger not a three pin 3 or 7kw charger…it wont be a 43 kw one yet as they are serious money…not prepared for that yet…and I think even these will be gone in a few years as ther electric car is taken up by the masses…we pathfinders will just have to learn the hard way to be honest…given that there are supposedly only around 5000 electric cars registered I can’t imagine mine will be used by anyone other than me and my staff, for now…

should have my zero net charge point in two weeks installed, got to wait for my electrician to turn up he is away on holiday…he has a lot of work to do…hopefully with my home charger in tomorrow my fiances one in soon (fitted but was missing a bit of buzz bar on the fuse board) and my mum and dads one ready, and I will be relatively mobile…instead of having to detour via Fleet…yippeee.

The zoe is a great town/general car but you will still realistically need a second car for journeys more than 45 miles…

it looks like I cannot claim to be an electric head just yet…still a committed petrol head…

did my first overnight medium speed charge and now see 100%, am very interested to see what range I get now as when i have used the fast chargers it has always stopped at 99% never 100%…wondering just how real the 99% figure was and how much a really good slowish charge actually adds in range terms…we will see if it means anything or not but I am suspicious that I may be getting more range now I have my home charger…hoping anyway…because so far 80 plus miles has been hard to achieve…

fantastic, did my first 95 miles on one charge…very happy with that, and not going mega slow either, I thought with the twizy i had become good at driving sensibly and to gain maximum miles but the zoe seems to be different…it is too easy to give it more whoomph than you need…and in eco mode it fools you by controlling the rate of energy use…but now i am charging it slowly at home each time it seems to be doing just a tad more miles each charge…its a bit warmer this week too which may be part of the reason…we will see…stoke next week, 180 miles…this will be the big challenge…

Just over 2500 miles in the Zoe now, very very pleased with it…

getting my Zeronet charger next week and then going to fit a 22kw charger…still not ordered it yet as my electrician hasn’t been about until today…got to run three phase to the 22kw connection and that’s a serious bit of a cost.