Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

High Mileage Increased Monthly Cost of Battery Lease

I am paying £71 a month for Battery rental.
Can anyone explain the reason for increased cost for high mileage.
Difference between £49 and £71 seems excessive.

Just guessing:-

1. More chance of needing to call Renault out if you run out of charge.
  2. More chance of flattening the battery too many times and it needing replacing earlier.
  3. There are only so many charge cycles the battery can do before needing replacement.

Over 3 years you are still paying less than the price of the batteries but not by much.

Oddly it looks cheaper to pay the excess charge!

AT 2.5p a mile then for 9000miles is £225 against a 12 month contract for 9000miles of £804
There is no incentive to take anything but the £45/49 deal!

[h=3]Z.E. BATTERY[/h]http://www.renault.co.uk/resources/images/vehicles/twizy/battery.jpg[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[h=4]Affordable - hiring a battery keeps monthly costs affordable[/h][FONT=Arial]The battery hire agreement guarantees you a minimum charge capacity* and full recovery services in the event of all types of breakdown.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]You can change the mileage and terms of the agreement at any time until 3 months before the end of the hire term. Any new monthly payment will reflect the prices shown. If the revised payment is greater than the original payment you’ll be charged for any additional costs up to the date of the change to the terms. Excess mileage is charged at 2.5p per mile. In the event that the agreement is terminated additional charges may apply.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]* Charge capacity of 75% of the original capacity at delivery.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][h=4]Battery Hire Monthly Prices[/h][TABLE=“width: 575”]
[TR=“class: odd”]
[TH=“class: duration, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]Battery Rental for Twizy including VAT (with Assistance for all breakdowns)[/TH]
[TH=“bgcolor: #F3F3F3, colspan: 5”]Mile/Year[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD=“class: duration”]Contract term*[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000”]4 500[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000”]6 000[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000”]7 500[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000”]9 000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR=“class: months odd”]
[TD=“class: duration, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]12 months[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£55[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£59[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£63[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£67[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR=“class: months”]
[TD=“class: duration”]24 months[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000”]£50[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000”]£54[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000”]£58[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000”]£62[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD=“class: duration, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]36 months[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£45[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£49[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£53[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£57[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR=“class: months”]
[TD=“class: duration”]48 months[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000”]£45[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000”]£49[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000”]£53[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000”]£57[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD=“class: duration, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]60 months[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_6000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£45[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_9000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£49[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_12000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£53[/TD]
[TD=“class: duration_15000, bgcolor: #F3F3F3”]£57[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

*Additional combinations of terms and mileages are available, please consult your local Renault ZE
[/FONT]

Having run out of charge though I would Renault call out.
Told couldn’t told by AA who Renault sent out they were not
allowed to tow and running out of Juice is classed as self inflicted.

Im a bit confused by this. If i go for the 4500 mile rental and do 9000 miles you pay about 80pounds more for exceeded mileage than just paying the proper rate.

We should have a tally thread on the forum to see whats the most popular battery rental scheme.

I have no idea how many miles i will do but likely it would be high. Id hate to limit my driving by knowing I’m reaching my mileage limit like on a lease car.

Does anyone know if you can choose the 12 month lease but then increase it to 2 or 3 years backdating the savings? Again its one of those big questions, how long will i keep the twizy, what if i need to sell it or it never gets used! I know renault have used the regular car leasing scheme for the batteries but I’m a fan of owning my cars so this throws up a lot of questions particularly when I’m doing 18k miles a year in my diesel car.

You get a transfer of ownership form with the battery so you can let them know if you’re selling the car. No problem with this as long as the person buying the Twizy takes over the agreement.

I went for the 9000 miles for 3 years at £57 per month working out at £2052 over three years.

Strangely, it looks like Chris is onto something if I’m not mistaken. Let’s assume I do 9000 miles in a year…

4500 miles contract over 3 years = £45 * 36 = £1620. An extra 4500 miles charged at 2.5p per mile would work out at £112.50. £1620 + £112.50 = £1732.50

That’s £319.50 cheaper than the 9000 mile contract! I feel a bit like a mug now…

£45 a month for me, I get the vat back , so costs me £37.50. Cant see me doing any more than 4500 miles, my Motorbike is just 1 year old, and I have done 3000 on that.

Ahh my maths is bad, i get it now. maybe when i go into renault il grill them on that!

Strangely, it looks like Chris is onto something if I’m not mistaken. Let’s assume I do 9000 miles in a year…

4500 miles contract over 3 years = £45 * 36 = £1620. An extra 4500 miles charged at 2.5p per mile would work out at £112.50. £1620 + £112.50 = £1732.50

That’s £319.50 cheaper than the 9000 mile contract! I feel a bit like a mug now…

Has anyone found any more information on this pricing ‘Anomoly’?
It seems that it is only worth paying for the £45 a month and then paying any excess mileage at 2.5p a mile.
Or is my maths wrong?..

Andy

I’m on the 9,000 mile pa £53 contract too. Looks like you are right! Should have done my maths!

I’m on the 9,000 mile pa £53 contract too. Looks like you are right! Should have done my maths!

I think you are better off with the £53 contract, that one does work out cheaper!
I was dithering between the 4500 & 6000 miles contract, but the £45 4500 mile/year works out £31.50 cheaper if you pay the excess mileage :slight_smile:

Andy

I’m on the 6000, £48.99 a month contract. I do think that they are a bit steep considering the cost to fill up a supermini at about £45 for 300 miles. This cuts into the cost savings I had calculated over the 3yr Twizy ownership, where I will have paid the finance and own the vehicle outright for a future trade in to a slightly more powerful, longer range, heated Twizy with windows and a tablet sound system as standard! OR a Zoe.

Fortunately I reclaim the VAT, so its £37.50 for my contract.

my question is, are they ever going to go with *LiFePO4 *batteries…
(still waiting for it to hit the states here, would be perfect for city driving)

Can anyone answer this? As Osbrook kindly posted up the battery rental chart, randomly picking a mileage and length.
You buy a Twizy, outright cash. Choose 4500 miles, 12 month rental for £55 a month.
What happens at the end of the term? Do you hand back the car, the battery? Say after the term ends from then on you only cover 1000 miles a year, is it tough, you need to keep paying £xx?, at least the minimum.
Ultimately after maybe ten years if no one will take over the battery lease what are your options? Is the only option to walk away, giving it all back to Renault?
Is it an unknown?

Tough on not using the mileage, although you can adjust it.
I suspect if you choose not to rent the batteries at the end of contract Renault we charge you to have them removed and retuned to them. You keep he car. Which is then no use. Cannot sell as no batteries and Renault will charge the earth to put some back in.

A very interesting point. I don’t think anyone knows including Renault themselves as this scheme is new to the market. I don’t think it is in the contract that they can charge you to remove the batteries and recover them at the end of a contract period if you wish not to continue. Renault only owns the batteries not the Twizy itself, so you can keep the Twizy, but what good is it without the batteries. I would imagine a couple of years from new, Reault will try to recover the batteries but after 5 years or more, it’s not worth their while and they will write it off.

Would be interesting to really examine the small print of the contract.
Twizy without the battery? I know there are people on here already asking the question of making their own.
Cant see them allowing you to keep them after say one year but i would have thought they would remove them, presumably at their own cost. Might be quite a simple operation.

I was in Renault today looking at a Twizy and I asked whether Renault would ‘right off’ the battery after a certain length of time, say for example 6 years (just plucking that number out of the sky for an example), stopping the leasing agreement and therefore making the battery belong to you? The sales guy had to go and check because he’d never been asked this question before and he came back with:- No, you lease the battery for the life of the car. So, if you keep the Twizy/Zoe etc. for 10 years, you pay the battery lease for 10 years. There is no ‘right off’ of the battery after a certain length of time. Renault will always own the battery and you will always pay the lease for as long as you keep the car.

True for the time being, but for how many years will Renault support the Battery replacement on the Twizy?
There will be a cutoff point sometime?..

Andy