How practical is a twizy?

Hi, I currently have a Toyota IQ, possibly think’n of a Twizy, just not
100% convinced how it will handle are winters ? My car was freez’n
last winter and I can imagine iced steering wheel not being much fun.
I do have access to me mums car, is it practical to do a short trip
on the motorway, say 5 mins journey.Might go for test drive tomz,
any feedback be great, cheers dave.

Even with the optional windows, it still is not airtight and has no heating of any sort, except the heated screen element.

If the IQ is your only car and that was cold and you intend to use the Twizy as your main car, it may not work for you unless you have a garage and are prepared to dress up properly.

I find mine surprisingly practical and it will hold 50+ mph and is stable on a motorway, but this is not what it is designed for. It is more of a fun city car and second car than the main car. Personally, I use mine as a part of our three vehicle “fleet” and would struggle using it as the main car.

Check you can insure it too-it is classed as a quadricycle not a car and your insurer may not cover it.

Good luck with the test drive-they do drive very well and have an undiluted responsiveness that you may prefer to the IQ.

Thanks for the reply, the twizy would work for what I do, tend stay local, pop shop, would get stick
at footy :confused: I would have to cover it up at night, as I don’t own a garage at the mo, does the cold weather drain
the battery ?
Does it look like a mobility scooter ? :confused:
hopefully test drive will go well !!

I find the response is always positive but any doubters may be converted if you let them drive it!

The Twizy has a traction battery and a separate battery for lights, wipers etc, but all batteries will have their performance reduced by very cold weather. It does not drain the battery but may reduce the range in extreme weather.

Take it for a decent spin and see how you get on. Remember it is rear wheel drive if you are crazy on wet islands!

If you’re only going to be using it locally, like how you’d use a scooter I suppose, then it will work great for you. The Twizy is my only car, but I all I need is something to commute in and something for round town at the weekends so it fits in well with my lifestyle.

It isn’t for everyone and obviously isn’t designed for long journeys or in most cases to be used as a main car. I would say take a test drive to see if you like it first, and then weigh up whether it will fit in with your lifestyle.

I am personally waiting until the new year before jumping in. I want to see how much the battery range is compromised in the cold. Love the ‘mobility scooter’ looks!

yes some how it looks like a mobility scooters. Like this http://smartscooters.co.uk/6-8-mph-mobility-scooters/Shoprider-Traveso-Mobility-Scooter/

I love my twizy, and the money it saves me is phenomenal. In the 5 months I’ve had it, I reckon it’s saved me over £800 in petrol. I was using my 3.2 merc for commuting before. That now just gets used as the family car, as there are three of us, but we have 3x2 seaters. If it’s gonna save that in petrol, I’m prepared to wrap up well for winter!! EMBRACE LE TWIZY!!! VIVE LA TWIZY!!

my twizy must have saved me a fortune in juice as well never paid in a thousand miles to charge it perfik

I would also like to add that it’s only put by electric bill up by just over 3 quid a week. That is nothing compared to the fuel costs. My twizy costs me 50p a day to commute to work and back (22 miles). Even if I used one of my smart cars, it would cost a minimum of £2.50 . A bus would cost me £5.90 return.

In a way you also have factor in the cost of the battery rental which is about £1.50 a day when on the £45pm tariff.

Bit of a latecomer to this conversation but would like to add my 2p.

To set the scene, I’m an early 20s male with my workplace just 5 miles away, along hilly country lanes. I bought a Twizy for this year before I go back to uni for masters (I’ll sell it next September). As such it’s my full time and only vehicle, and I use it to commute every day. Is it practical? Short answer, no.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I bought it instead of a normal car. But there are a few impracticalities. These are:

• I’ve bought windows (I went for hard plastic ones that look good as opposed to the awful looking tent-window material ones) but the windows do still soak the inside of the doors, so the floor in the car is always wet at the moment. The seat and controls are dry.
  • In low sun, the lack of a flip-down sun visor can be a real drag.
  • Unfortunately, because the windows I’ve got have large holes above where the door handle is (so that you can reach in to open the doors) this means that in the morning there is dew all over the inside of the windscreen. Wiping this down still leaves it really smeary, and it’s difficult to see out the windscreen if you need to leave immediately (the heated screen doesn’t help much).
  • I’d never take it on the motorway. I think it’s asking for trouble. If someone else is driving poorly, you don’t stand a chance if they hit you.

Fortunately the benefits of driving the Twizy every day outweigh these drawbacks. The main pros are these:

• It’s incredibly nippy when accelerating from stationary, which is great at roundabouts and when the traffic lights go green. I’ve often seen surprised faces driving the cars behind as they struggle to keep up for that first few seconds (they quickly catch up of course, once you hit about 30).
  • The range is not an issue. For me it’s great, it’ll do my commute for three days and have plenty left in the tank, but I usually recharge at this point to avoid creating pointless risk of breakdown. It won’t do long journeys, but I’m one of those public transport people - any excuse to get the train up to London, Oxford etc and I’m on it.
  • An often overlooked advantage is that unlike other EVs the plug is a normal 3-pin, so I sometimes plug it in through the window at work if I’m low on juice. It means if you break down anywhere, pretty much every house around you is a potential ‘filling station’ (may have to brush up your sweet talk).
  • Hate to say this, but I’ve grown to enjoy the attention. People are divided - some people love it, some think it’s uncool. I’ve had so much stuff yelled at me by people of all ages (ranging from ‘Legend!’ / ‘that’s the coolest car I’ve ever seen!’ to ‘Wanker!’). You learn to take it all on the chin.

Hope that helps, if you’re still unsure.

Great post and thanks for sharing your experiences

I’ve had mine for over 5 months now, and I haven’t paid a penny in battery rental, because my friendly neighbourhood dealer is still paying for it. I have phoned the salesman to remind him, but he said he’ll get the paperwork sent off “eventually”. Seemingly, the dealers only pay £25 a month for the battery rental.

WHAT!! You lucky bugger.
I wouldn’t worry about reminding your dealer. Let them pay for the battery rental as long as possible. You are not responsible for it as long as you have signed nothing with RCI and the dealer is slack with their paperwork. I wish I have a friendly neighbourhood dealer (Renault?) like that. :smirk: