Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

New OLEV grant for home charging

Hi,

I have been now enjoying my Twizy since the beginning of August 2014 and it is a delight to drive to work every day as well as week-end. My 3 years old son adores it and always wants to be in the back seat wherever we go…until winter comes!

Not having an outside plug in front of the house to charge the Twizy I wanted to take advantage of the newly revised government grant OLEV for a charging unit to be fitted outside your home.

It supposes to be for all electric vehicles purchased after 1[SUP]st[/SUP] July 2014 (like me) with a grant of 900 pounds. Unfortunately I have just been informed by one of the company that the Renault Twizy is not covered by the new grant!

Before I contact the OLEV offices and ask them why and what vehicles are excluded or included from that list I would like to know if you had a similar experience and ended up fitting a socket yourself (or by a qualified electrician). It will be interesting to found out if electric bikes and scooters are also excluded.

But it is one frustration after the other…
Driving into London to one of the few 3 pins POD available is a bit like playing the lottery as they are nearly always occupied by the same vehicle every day. You can’t blame the drivers if you live in London… No parking fee, No charging bills, no congestion fee, it is heaven for them.

The London borough of Hillingdon where I live has been very good with nearly 10 charging POD … but none has a 3 pins socket. So I cannot charge the Twizy anywhere in Hillingdon.

Thanks,

I have been on the OLVE website and copied the latest list where there is no Twizy!

[h=2]Cars eligible for the grant[/h]
[LIST]
*]BMW i3
*]BMW i8
*]BYD e6
*]Chevrolet Volt
*]Citroen CZero
*]Ford Focus Electric
*]Mia Electric Mia
*]Mitsubishi iMiEV
*]Mitsubishi Outlander
*]Nissan e-NV200 5-seater Combi
*]Nissan Leaf
*]Peugeot iON
*]Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid
*]Renault Fluence
*]Renault ZOE
*]Smart fortwo electric drive
*]Tesla Model S
*]Toyota Prius Plug-in
*]Vauxhall Ampera
*]Volkswagen e-up!
*]Volkswagen e-Golf
*]Volvo V60
[/LIST]
[h=2]Vans eligible for the grant[/h]
[LIST]
*]BD Otomotiv eTraffic
*]BD Otomotiv eDucato
*]Citroen Berlingo
*]Daimler Mercedes-Benz Vito E-Cell
*]Faam ECOMILE
*]Faam JOLLY 2000
*]Mia electric Mia U
*]Mitsubishi Outlander GX3h 4Work
*]Nissan e-NV200 cargo van
*]Peugeot ePartner
*]Renault Kangoo ZE
*]Smith Electric Smith Edison
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*=left]
[/LIST]

Do you have room to park your Twizy off the road at home?

If so under the new rules it may be cheaper to fit an external socket yourself/ arrange it yourself.
Although there is still some hiding and fudging of costs the £900 doesn’t cover the full costs and you should end up paying a percentage. This part would be better put towards your own external point.

I totally agree it is rubbish that the the scheme excludes the Twizy just because it didn’t get the government grant. After all it is an EV. I got one under the old scheme but cannot use for the Twizy. :’(

Parts for the ‘DIY’ solution (Cable, new fuse, external socket, clips etc) around £60 plus fitting.

It is a problem that the Twizy cannot use the Type-2 charge points. It can use the commando points and the 3 pin points. However the Type-2 to 3 pin adapter is an expensive item at nearly £200 if you can find one. These adapters are not popular as they allow anyone to connect to do silly things like boil a kettle or charge their phone!

I am lucky with a front drive big enough to fit a dozen Twizy but no garage. I have friend who is a qualified electrician and will fit an external socket for me but it remains a mystery as why the Twizy is not covered, probably because it is not classified as a car.

The irony is that the Mia is included on the list and unfortunately for the French company and its employees it went bust early this year and I don’t think many are running around the UK today. And this is what the OLEV says on its website…

3. Eligibility
Your new vehicle is likely to be eligible if it is one of the following:

· electric vehicles (EVs) – these run completely on batteries and are plugged into the mains to be recharged
· plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) – these use a petrol or diesel engine combined with a battery that plugs into the mains
· hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and other technologies