Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

PodPoint hate Twizy owners!

OK, so that’s not quite true :wink: But I was noseying on the PodPoint website and spotted in their blog section this:

Rather than telling users it’s not permitted, why don’t they work with a firm like Symphony to approve the use of specific adaptors?

I would guess a good number of Twizy owners now carry a Type 2 to 3 pin adaptor cable so they can charge their Twizys in more places. I did see the videos Andy Kirby put on YouTube where the original adaptor had no way to interrupt the comms signal to the charging post, but that’s since changed and a lot of these adaptors now have a key switch on them to do that.

1 Like

I’m just surprised Renault didn’t update the Twizy with a type 2 connector, but I guess it comes down to cost!

Considering then original Twizys age…I’m shocked there isnt a few “generational” changes.
I am only aware of a change to the charger - and a change to the headlight mounting area (who knows why). Think how much a clio has changed since 2012!

1 Like

Exactly, I think a Twizy mk2 would do very well these days.

I think it does exist…you’re driving it!

1 Like

Haha good point. Even the media console in the Smart is made by Renault!

Yes, it could do with a refresh. Type 2 socket (ccs would be even better even if its throttled, just opens up more charging options), bigger battery, slightly beefier motor & top speed. Windows as default? Slightly wider tyres as standard?

I would imagine the low sales volumes has limited Renaults appetite to refresh the car anytime soon.

In terms of beefier motor - surely this cant be the hardest mod? It all gone quiet on the 100hp Twiz front - so maybe it is!

I might be missing something about the type 2 adapter cables. I get that the charging station locks the plug in the socket while it’s charging, and it controls whether to release it or not. I get that the latest versions of the adapter cables have a key on them to release the plug. My question I guess is, does the key in the adapter cable complete a circuit that tells the charging station to release, or does it just open the plug-side of the catch mechanism so you can pull the plug out when the charging station is still in use?

Reading the PodPoint article makes it sound like the key just deals with the physical catch, so it allows you to pull the plug out while the charging station is still ‘active’ which is confusing things. But the circuit to tell the charging station to unlock just changes from 9v to 12v which doesn’t seem that hard to do…

I use an EV Bitz 13amp to Type 2 adapter cable with a key. As I understand it, the key simply isolates the plug and allows it to be removed from, for example, a PodPoint charger when the vehicle battery is not fully charged. If a vehicle battery is fully charged, I was told that it is some software in the vehicle that recognises the charge is complete, and therefore sends a signal to stop the charging cycle and allows the plug to be removed. The Twizy of course is not that “smart” and unable to signal that the charge is complete. If I use the free PodPoint at the Minsmere RSPB Reserve in Suffolk, I ALWAYS have to use the key in order to remove the plug, even though the Twizy has fully charged. The Polar Plus charging point at our local ALDI allows me to charge the Twizy free, and you can remove the plug without having to isolate it with the key, even when charging is not complete. My advice though,is NEVER buy an adapter lead without the key. Over the last 18 months, I am slowly recovering the £156 cost of the lead, I have only had to charge at home 4 times, thank you to, EV Bitz, Aldi, Lidl & the RSPB.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Twizy Type 2 cable now available

Yeah but my question still stands, which is what is the key doing when you turn it? Does something physically move inside the plug that allows you to pull it out of the charger, or does turning the key do something electrical?

The key switch is electrical rather than operating any physical part of the plug from what I can see. I actually have one on order from EV Bitz as I wanted one on hand ready for the day I spot the right Twizy for sale and decide to drive it home across country!

If nothing else, it’ll enable me to be able to make a quick cuppa tea from when away from home using a travel kettle. Nawty I know, but tea is essential :wink:

More info on here:
http://www.evbitz.uk/T2___UK_13A.html

And also here:

Yeah I’ve read the standards, that was why my question… Although isn’t j1772 the US standard and we have an IEC standard over here which replaces it. Either way it’s a case of dropping the voltage to 9v or so isn’t it to get it to release which is why I am a little confused as to why PodPoint would say they were problematic. Unless their beef is with adapters that don’t have the key/switch

This is mostly double Dutch to me! I now own a 2012 plate Twizy, and would like an adapter, mostly because the charity where I work has a car charger point available. Do the adapters cause harm to the car or the charging point? Would any Twizy owners recommend a particular adapter? thanks.

The evbitz one is the cheapest around I believe. You want a 3pin to type 2 adaptor as on the link above. The first type of these that were avaliable didnt have a key switch and so could get stuck - newer ones have the key to let the charger know you want to unplug.

There’s a good reason they will not allow it.
If the charger makes a mistake (short winding, etc.) then it does not give notice via the pilot signal and cut off all power to the Twizy.
Thus, there is a possibility that Twizy and charge point can go up in smoke

I can’t imagine this happening as the power input to the charging post and output will be protected by a RCD , this would trip if too much current is drawn from the grid or from the car being charged.
This is the reason why a lot of charging posts don’t work because they have physical RCD’s inside and need to be reset manually.

this is heat build up on your side and probably took a long time to melt , I’m also guessing you have no RCD protection on this socket?

this also happened with my home 240V wall box over the period of six years.

the plug pins became oxidised or the contact pins in the plug causing the plug to overheat.

during the charging process I found the wall socket and extension lead gets up to 45C so think 4 hours charging at 45C and 10A will eventually age the plug.

with the new lead and wall point all the temperatures are a lot lower.