Range anxiety

SO DECIDED TO TAKE THE TWIZ OUT YESTERDAY TO CHELMSFORD DVLA TO SORT OUT THE NEW PRIVATE PLATE, A ROUND TRIP OF APPROX 35 MILES, KEPT THE POWER BAR TO ONE OR TWO AS BEST I COULD AVERAGING 35 TO 45 AND REGENERATIVE BRAKING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE !, MANAGED TO GET BACK WITH JUST 4 MILES LEFT:’(, WHILST IN CHELMSFORD PARKED IN A CAR PARK AND EXPLAINED TO ATTENDANT THAT TWIZY WAS A QUAD BIKE AND AS I HAD NO WINDOWS COULDN’T PAY AND DISPLAY AND HE AGREED !:lol:, ALSO DROVE OVER THE FLYOVER THAT SAID CARS ONLY AND FELT A BIT NAUGHTY AND ANXIOUS !!:redface:, WHEN I RETURNED TO THE OFFICE HAD AN EMAIL FROM SOME RANDOM THAT SAID THEY SAW MY CAR IN CHELMSFORD THOUGHT IT LOOKED AMAZING AND WHAT CAR WAS IT !, WRAPPING OBVIOUSLY GETTING THE MESSAGE OUT THERE AND WORKING, ALSO NOTICED OTHER ROAD USERS SEEM MORE COURTEOUS WHEN OVERTAKING ME WHEN I’M IN THE TWIZ

I hate driving with cars in the next lane, you sense them slowing down to look, but then notice them starting to creep across into your lane. :o

I have done 1124 miles in my Twizy and always try to discharge to about 4miles before charging. A few times I have charged at 50%. Today I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had an estimated 46miles on the clock! Unfortunately, I had to sit in a two and a half hour traffic jam today so was expecting to be surprised by the range. However sitting in the traffic with the lights on, wiper on and occasional demist, I found that I had used a higher than expected amount of range, with 34miles remaining. My return journey home reduced it to 18miles (11.5 mile trip in stop start 30mph and some 40mph running). So I don’t expect to be able to get my usual two return journeys after that wait. Seems very odd.

Ignore the range as it works on an algorithm of the last 3 miles average usage against the last 90 miles usage-funny that sitting in traffic affects it though-I find it best not to crawl, but leave a gap, accelerate and use regen for a second or two at a time.

I simply see the bars on the battery scale as being about 4 miles range each and work it from there!

Yup - four miles to the bar at this time of the year. 5 in the Summer for me, except when I start with a long hill.

I agree with this-had said 5 miles previously, but 4 now-it is colder

I have had my twizy for two days, first day today going to work. Odometer showed I traveled 32 miles 28 of which were M3, when I arrived at work it showed 3 miles left. Total is 35, really not happy with this.

As I said in earlier post when you asked, constant full speed canes the battery quickly-it is not really designed as a motorway car!!
The problem is that you are never using the regeneration if on full throttle, constant speed.

Few things, though-the battery range improves slightly after a few full discharge/recharge cycles, the brakes/tyres/bearings need to wear in, the range improves with warm weather, ignore the range left display as it is calculating only against flat out use, once the range gets down to 0 miles there is still a good few miles left, etc

Give it a few weeks of running in and see how you go-I do understand your worries-I was exactly the same at the start :wink:

Thanks for that

No worries-give it a bit of time and get into the flow of it.

On the motorway, I just sit behind something big if safe to do so and let the slipstream carry me-improves the range a lot. Once you have run it in and got used to the range calculations, you get more and more confident with it.

My only reservation is if the battery only holds 80% charge in years to come; not enough to be any use, too much to force a replacement-75% is the threshold.
As early adopters, we have to take a bit of risk-hope it does not come back and bite us in the long term.

After being very analytical and paranoid at the start, I have relaxed with it now and can honestly say the Twizy is one of my favourite all time vehicles.

As Mender said you’re suffering from the power cost of maintaining high speed on the M3. FWIW, the approximate power consumption model I’ve worked out suggests that to maintain 50mph constant speed a Twizy requires around 8.5kW of power. The summer battery capacity is around 6.1kWh, so at 8.5kW that gives you a running time of about 43 minutes, which will take you nearly 36 miles. The winter capacity, as you have discovered, is lower.

Now although this is no comfort when you’re screaming along the M3 with an artic up your bottom, maintaining 40mph requires only about 5.6kW of power, giving you a summer range of over 43 miles in a running time of 65 minutes.

Out here in the sticks we only have to do about 200 yards of dual carriageway on our 5 miles trip to the nearest town. At a constant 30mph we’d be using 3.6kW, giving us a summer range of over 50 miles. Having said that, maintaining a constant speed behind sundry agricultural vehicles and flocks of sheep is a challenge, and braking and acceleration have power costs too!

Great guidance there. I too am a day two owner, and have equal concerns and disappointments about the range. I have no where at all to charge at work, so the car has to do me a 36 mile motorway return journey, without fail. The salesman knew this was the case and said it would easily manage this. After day 1… I am very concerned as I was down to just 7% remaining. And this was by no means a cold day, and without any lights etc on. I am very very concerned about the darker commutes now. Do we know how much lights effect range?

I find that the lights etc do not affect the range very much at all, but the cold certainly does. I wouldn’t worry too much, you will get better at conserving energy the longer you have the car. Is it not possible to get some power installed at work ?

Spot on Mark. The Lights come from the separate 12V battery and although very small you say you charge it once a day so it help not run the traction battery down. The 12V battery is the key element, if that goes flat begins to fail all sorts of issues appear and the Twizy may not even start.

The Lights, wipers, horn, windscreen heater, dash, control board and 12v accessory socket all run from the small 12V battery. This does get topped up if low when the ignition is on from the traction battery. However as Mark points out it doesn’t take much out of the main battery.

Cheers osbrook and lightly. I went on a bit of a hunt around all out buildings at work yesterday… And like an oasis in the desert, I uncovered an old 16amp socket under a bush in a remote car parking area.!
With luck it will still be connected, so I’ll be taking our camping hook up to work next week and put it to the test!

Great find, I am sure you will be able to get that fixed up even if it’s not working at the moment.:smiley:

Works a treat! Now I just need to figure out how to reserve that space as my own… Slightly trickier to do!lol

I got about 41 miles (mostly motorway) yesterday (English summer) sitting around 45-47mph. I had a 37mile journey to do and time to circle up and down the motorway at the last 2 junctions to see what it was doing. I then circled the house to run it completely flat to see how far it would actually go (43.5 miles), and then pushed it the last 1/4mile home when it totally ran out.

It was very easy to push, just make sure you’re on the left where you can grab the handbrake, I almost had mine run away!!!