Renault Parrot vs Parrot MKi9100

Been looking at the official Renault Bluetooth Kit but baulked at the price!
I have seen the excellent Parrot Installation guide by Lightly and see that it is a Parrot MKi9100 that Renault uses.
Looking on the 'Net you can buy a Parrot MKi9100 for just over £100
Am I correct in thinking the only difference is the Renault Plastic housing to mount the display, and the speakers and mounting brackets?
I am a design engineer and have a lot of access to sheet metal machinery, so knocking some speaker brackets up would be dead easy. :slight_smile:
I was wondering if anyone who has the official kit fitted can tell me what do you need to see from the display?
I was thinking about mounting the display in the glove box???
Does anyone know what size and wattage the Renault speakers are fitted?

Andy

I was thinking on same lines; the hardware looks the same and the metal speaker brackets might be easy enough to fabricate, but the Twizy is open and the plastic screen mount is good as it hides the unit away up top from all but the most persistent of crims, maybe the 9200 would work mounted above the windscreen in the same spot?

Bear in mind the glovebox lids do not stay lifted open and you are supposed to go in that way to change light bulbs.

Would be interested to see if someone fits a non-Renault Parrot kit. Hmmm.

Well I’ve gone and done it…
Bought a Parrot MKi9100, cost £129
Not sure where I am going to fit the display yet because I don’t have the Official Renault plastic housing that fits in the top left corner.
I will be fitting it next weekend all being well, need to source some speakers first.
I have removed the plastic speaker surround in the Twizy and I guess the speakers are 100mm (4")
Any audio expert know what power speakers I should order???
I am a complete dunce when it comes to car audio :smiley:

Andy

1 Like

Post some pics when done!

I thought about this, but thought there may be some discount on the official one somewhere and that by the time you bought and fitted speakers and brackets, added the loom adaptor (if needed?) and got it all fitted with the display looking ok, the price woud not be far off an official one.

I would be interested to see how you modify and fit a standard kit :wink:

I would be interested to see how you modify and fit a standard kit

Looking at Lightly’s excellent tutorial and photos I am confident it will fit :smiley:
The loom I got looks exactly the same with loads of surplus wires and connectors.
Still scratching my head on where to mount the display.
I need to check how long the display wires are because I am thinking about mounting it high up where Lightly fitted the microphone.
Last year I built myself a 3D Printer so I might design a custom enclosure and print one out :smiley:

Andy

If the loom needs no adapting life will be easier

Will a 3D printer make a strong enough bracket-the original is metal? Cool if it does!

Will a 3D printer make a strong enough bracket-the original is metal? Cool if it does!

The plastic the 3D printer is either PLA or ABS
The PLA is very strong but is brittle, the ABS is more flexible but not as strong.
PLA would work perfectly.
If the display cable is long enough I am thinking about fitting it overhead where Lightly fitted the microphone.
I will see if I can make a combined Plastic enclosure to hold the display and microphone :smiley:

Andy

HI @Normsthename, did you ever do the 3D printed brackets? Thinking of doing the same over here. What material did you use and how has it treated you?

I do love how threads from years ago can reappear when looking for useful information

I didn’t make an enclosure in the end.
I just mounted the standard display using the supplied fittings.
I fitted the display in the top left hand corner of the car and it is very discreet.
You cannot see it unless sat in the driver’s seat!
I think it looks better than the official Renault item :slight_smile:

Andy

No no. I meant the speaker mounting brackets.

I had the speaker brackets laser cut from steel, folded and then powder coated.
Fixed them with a screw and cable ties, still there three years later :slight_smile:
You could cut the brackets out by hand using the DXF template that I sent to you.
Print it out 1:1 scale and use that to mark out the steel

Andy

Cool. What grade steel did you use? And would it be possible to cut by hand? And powder coating? I could presumably skip that right? Or what purpose does it serve?

I just used standard CR4 Mild Steel.
The Powdercoating just stops it rusting, any paint finish would work.
If I had to make a set by hand, I would use aluminium sheet and cut out with Tin Snips.
There is a German Twizy site that sells the brackets ready made.
You could always design a custom Bracket and 3D print them, that would also work

Andy

Yeah. The German site wants €40 euro for the pair. I find that a bit ridiculous.

Hey, you also have file for 3D printing for those speaker brackets here: brackets

1 Like

You would do far better buying a bluetooth/MP3 radio, that was my solution.
£13.99 on Ebay, excellent :grinning:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Car-Radio-Stereo-Head-Unit-Player-MP3-USB-SD-AUX-IN-FM-In-dash-IPod/112049935051?hash=item1a16b252cb:g:~YEAAOSwjytafqsJ

Where did you mount it?

1 Like

Not sure where you could fit that, how did you manage?

1 Like

In the glove box, similar to Christian Klipfel on YouTube :slight_smile: