Retrofit xenon projectors

Hi there. Anyone here put xenon projectors in your twizy? I have had a look behind and there is plenty of room to do it, the lamp it self is a little shallow, så one cant simply open the lamp up and fit the projector, so the lamp has to be cut. I want to do this, but i need som help sourcing second hand lamps, as i dont want to have loads of downtime on the lovely twizy. We can all agree i guess, that the light output on this little bag of fun, is just horrible…

i have fitted leds on mine better light less electricity used

I considered leds, but a morimoto xenon projector are 10x better. I allready have all i need except for two extra headlamps :smile:

The Morimoto’s do have a great reputation for the beam pattern. How about the MOT? I’ve considered various projectors but they are almost always made for xenon bulbs = big no in Swedish MOT.

I’m currently looking at Hellas Bi-halogen H7 headlights with the same layout and clear lens setup as any bi-xenon projectors: http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/modules/headlamp-modules/90mm-bi-halogen-headlamp-module/

And if these lights are not enought, maybe drop in some LED headlight bulbs: http://www.xenonkungen.com/se/led-diodlampor/halvljus-helljus-led/ledison-6g-headlights-h7.html

Does anyone know the size of the original headlights?

There is no MOT on the twizy here in Norway. Its registered as a quad, and all quads and motorcycles are free from EU control! The headlight looks like a standard 7 inch. But i cant find one with the same mountingtabs. That hella halogen projector looks interesting tho!

The headlamps are excellent anyway, is it worth the bother ?

Wow that makes the Morimotos perfect for you, my next mot is in 2018 so I might do it anyway :slight_smile:

It is worth it for us who live in Norway/Sweden and use the Twizy in winter. This time of the year, it’s dark outside by 3 in the afternoon in Stockholm and some don’t even have sunlight in the northest regions.

Well it’s dark in the uk at 4.15 pm as well , I still find the oe lights better than most cars I drive.

I have never had worse lights then the twizy.
I will post a lot of pics before and after, so you can tell the huge difference. (Asuming i can find some headlamps)

Peter, what LED bulbs did you fit?
Are they straight plug and play???

Andy

the second lot were, the first were not. without looking at the packaging i could not say but they came from ebay and the second lot were not expensive

I’m really keen to get LED headlights but I couldn’t find any that looked suitable/reputable, only those from eBay. However more recently I’ve only heard good things about them … I guess it depends which ones.
For the meantime I have a set of Osram Nightbreakers, basically still a filament bulb but with much whiter and brighter light, thus improving the romantic candle-light ones it came with. :smile:

I would appreciate any details on the LED’s as well Peter when you have a chance, do you notice much of a difference?

i did i fitted led sidelights as well. the problem is i still dont have my car back to take advantage of those led lights still at renault having gearbox sorted

ah ok - if you know which to order and can share that, was it a simple removal of the housing and swap out of the bulbs?

I like the idea of LED’s but don’t really want to be making cuts to fit things in

i have looked at my purchase history and cant find where i bought them from it was a straight fit unlike the first ones i bought. they were not expensive which of course is no help sorry

Be carefull though with what LEDs you buy. Some does have a high intensity light without much reflecting on the ground. The beam pattern can also be compromised resulting in dazzling other drivers.

Be sure that the vendor says its for high/low beam and not just the right socket.

/A

I have to check my eyes… The headlights are not 7", they are 5-3/4"
There are plenty available, but i cant find one that have the same mounting tabs.
Anyone?

This last pic is just for fun, kinda looks like a skull.

I gave up finding new lamps. So i got a pair led lights, and they are awsome, but the light shatter is really bad. Have to try repositioning the bulb,