Solar power and Charging a Twizy on it

Ok here where i’m at we have tons of solar sunshine to make it a great place to be off grid and which we are here where we are at .The house is completely off grid with solar panels and a 8kw back up diesel gen set up that only get’s fired up a few times a year to charge the house battery bank .

So can be charged everyday with solar instead of the grid charging station and what type of set up would you need to charge the unit

Hi Henry

The Twizy needs 220 to 240volts at 10 to 12 amps for about 3 hrs and then the current drops off. Ie.2200 watts.

Even here in the summer I can charge mine entirely from my solar array, but not at this time of year.

Chris

But you cannot fit them to the roof of the twizy. :rolleyes:

Don’t set me off again. :smiley:

If you put enough solar cells to power the twizy, it would look like the flying car from James Bond, The man with the golden gun. Brilliant, the worlds first flying electric car!

Well solar energy is a clean renewable energy source from the sun.
Transformation of solar energy into electric current using photovoltaic panels (solar PV) or or by the concentration of solar energy to create steam and drive a turbine (concentrated solar power).

I’m all for Solar. Standard Uk setup of 4KW on the roof grid connected and a further 2.5KW I’m setting to charge battery banks for my house lighting!

Why bother when we have mains? - It’s a hobby/ business, and a bit of fun! LED lighting and solar for grid connected homes. No disruption in the house as existing wiring used and no worry about the brown outs threatened in the UK.

Mad completely mad, but hey it takes all sorts.

My recent idea is:

The charger has some sort of “cold mode”. When the temperature is very low it charges with low power. So my idea is to tell the charger (even when it’s not cold) that it is cold. Then he would maybe charge with only 500 Watt or 2,5 A.

I didn’t know about the cold charge dropping the current. Clever idea if it works let us know how it goes., I don’t mind it is takes a long time to charge on occasions.

The manual says that below -15 °C charging might take longer. But a lot of twizy owners in germany had issues at -10 °C. Warning signs went on and sometimes charging took HOURS and HOURS. The charger reduces the current in a lot of cases: when the battery is full, when its too hot or too cold…

Another idea for solar charging is to use the line between motor and controller as input. You simulate a recuperation of twizy at maybe 20 km/h where the motor has a recuperation ouput of maybe 500 Watt or so. It’s also possible to simulate recuperation at 40 km/h, which yields 3,5 kW and would charge the twizy in one hour and a half.
just some ideas

Slow Charging
So we need to know how to trick the charger into thinking it is cold, without wrapping it in ice. This should be fairly simple by inserting a resister into the temperature probe line. Then we could use low current supplies - Solar, Small Caravan sites, end of thin extension leads to prevent over heating.
Injecting direct to the battery on the recuperation/regeneration is a bit more dangerous as there are some very large currents. But still an interesting idea.

Fast Charging
What you are suggesting is that the limiting factor is not the battery but the Charger. Therefore we need to source a new charger or put the car on a rolling road and spin the wheels up to 40KM/h for a quick charge. :smiley:

Injecting direct to the battery on the recuperation/regeneration is a bit more dangerous as there are some very large currents. But still an interesting idea.
Very large currents? And no, not directly into the battery. When the twizy regenerates, the motor produces a three-phase AC. That goes into the controller, get’s changed to DC and get’s to the battery. The controller does, as the name suggests, all the controlling (switching off when battery is full etc.).
So you just have to simulate a three-phase AC at the cable from motor to controller, which is similar to the motors output.

The Zoe uses this system for charging. It doesnt have a “charger”, it uses the motor-controller for that.

Hi everyone. I just wrote this post in a separate thread. What voltage is the Twizy battery itself? If it’s 50V, I’m going to try charging is with 4 x 12V solar arrays (each 400W).