Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

UK government 5000 pound clear-up question

I’ve been looking to the Zoe. Not for now, but it might be on my wishlist for in a couple of years.

The UK government apparently gives you 5000 pounds if you buy an electric car. Since there are many UK-based forum users, so here’s my question.

If I buy a Zoe in the UK, can I get that 5000 pounds discount (or payback)? I live in Belgium, the UK is just a train ride away.
Or is it just for UK citizens?

I have no problems with an UK charger, a 10 euro traveler adapter can solve that easily. And charging quickly via Mennekes would be the same across the Canal, if I’m not mistaken.

Thank you for your answer.

I’ve just filled in all the forms for a Zoe which includes adding my uk address onto the 5k discount form. The purpose of this is probably to prevent non-residents taking advantage, although I presume if you did get away with you would be the only Belgian with a RH drive Zoe :slight_smile:

Oops. Didn’t think of that. Thanks for the info anyways.

yes this is just for the current resident of London outsiders are not allowed in it. i have also confirmed it by so many different sources . all of them given me the same kind of answers.

It has nothing to do with being in London (that’s the Congestion Charge). The £5,000 discount is for all UK purchasers.

Is the twizy covered in this?

Unfortunately the Twizy is classified as a quadricycle, so does not qualify for the £5K grant.

By the way it isnt a £5K grant as such. It is 25% of cost to a maximum of £5000. As such the Zoe will not automatically be list minus £5K.

You are correct. But it doesn’t really matter as the quoted price of the Zoe (from) £13,995 is the price after the Government incentive, so that’s all you need to know.

If the Twizy was eligible for a £5k grant it would reduce the price to around £2500 which funnily enough is what Renault have offered me in part ex against a Zoe (& Nissan Leaf too)

Paul