Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Understeer

I have driven the Twizy in the wet before, but it’s the first time it’s been damp and cold.

I cant believe how bad the Understeer is on roundabouts and bends, my tyre pressures are perfect, but it really does scrub and feels like it wants to go straight on… Front tyres will be gone in no time…

The winter-tyres are better, but the summer-tyres understeer a lot on wet surface. Just get used to it, drive it without understeering and the tyres will stay for a while.

Yeah just drive it a bit slower, you get a feel for how fast you can take corners in the wet after a little while

My son complained about this to start with, it’s simply a case of slow in fast out.
He now understands it was his driving style.

Agree, slow in, full power out on hard lock and power-slide it round the islands for maximum fun

Understeer? You’re driving it all wrong!

To be fair, very few young people will ever have driven a rear-wheel drive car. [And will probably wonder why rally and racing cars all have it!]

To be fair, very few young people will ever have driven a rear-wheel drive car. And will probably wonder why rally and racing cars all have it!

The discussed issue here has nothing to do with rear wheel drive. The stock summer tires begin to slide quite early, that’s all.

Agree that the Eco tyres are not great for grip; it’s hard to get the minimum rolling resistance wanted for maximum range, whilst keeping them grippy. It does not help that the Twizy is also very light with weight biased to the rear. I think it would have been an absolute nightmare to drive if they had made it front wheel drive as there is so little grip in the damp.

If you get caught out, eg if you nearly miss a junction and want to sharply steer into it on damp roads at short notice, it will go straight on!

There is a point though; that most older drivers were brought up on light cars with rear wheel drive and skinny tyres, so they are familiar with using the technique (which is almost redundant at normal speeds in modern cars as you can be so lazy) of going in slow and powering gently out. Those schooled in a late model Corsa with power steering, ESP, ABS and low profile tyres won’t be so familiar with it and soon come unstuck in cars like the Twizy which seems to have zero grip compared.

For the record, I had mine sideways a few times on islands (intentionally) but when driving lazily have had a few hairy moments on damp (or round here very muddy) roads due to low grip levels. I’ve had skid pan training, got a coach and bike licence and usually buy little light low grip cars, so if a novice got a bit stampy with the pedals in the wrong conditions it cold be messy!

What’s the solution, though? Fit grippier tyres and lose more range? Not sure.

The solution is to know the limit of the Twizy and one’s own ability and drive sensibly.

so if a novice got a bit stampy with the pedals in the wrong conditions it cold be messy!
The first month i had the twizy, i was kind of scared driving in corners. But now i know when the twizy starts to do his understeer-thing and i am quite used to it. But when it starts raining i keep saying to myself: whatch the front tyres!
If you forget that in one corner and go in fast, twizy will go “flying”.

True!

I found that if you steered too hard, the front would lose grip, eg into a side road, but going too fast around a slippery bend would result in initial understeer then big oversteer-especially if under power.

If they made people learn in little, light cars with skinny tyres and no electronics, people would avoid more accidents as they would get a feel for the car and know what to do when it went wrong.