Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Was going to be an introduction but

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum and was planning to introduce myself the moment the Twizy was settled in here at home but have right away hit a problem.

First off just to clarify, Im a brit living at the edge of Madrid and Im just getting active in the Spanish Twizy forum (you can imagine they seem to be getting popular here) but I cant help feel a little closer to people who speak “like wot I do”.

So, what has happened basically is I’ve bought a Twizy Technic 80 which I finally got home yesterday evening, did a little test drive with my better half to her work place as a test run for today, came home then hooked up. The drive home and the test drive still left us with 60% juice so I was not expecting it to take the 3 or so hours to recharge. Later the same evening I went to the garage, noticed the dash panel had turned off which is what I thought was supposed happen when it reached 100%, unplugged and went to bed.

This morning my wife hopped in, slowly turned the key to the sort of “boot up” position to be greeted by 3 beeps, and

Flashing Neutral lights , both on the LCD display and the lit panel to the left
SERV - STOP lights lit …
and the little battery symbol top and center with the “!” in the middle … stayed on. (Page 1.32)
The key didnt seem to be able to go to GO and I didnt try to force it.
Also there were two large “- -” bars across where the speed is normally put …"

Renault have a good breakdown set up and they sent a truck within about half an hour and its back to the garage. So, is this part of the recharger fault that Ive seen some people mention ?
Its a bit of a killer to have only had the Twizy one evening and it seems to have a fault.

Paul

Welcome Paul

Certainly sounds like it. At least you will not have to wait for the imports of parts!

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the message Osbrook.

I visited the dealer this evening and they told me that the 12V battery was practically out of power and may have led to the other bizarre indications on the dash. Theyve run the car and done some recharges and checked other stuff out to no avail and now handed the vehicle back. I suspect that possibly during the time between the Twizy arriving and me being able to drive it off the forecourt something happened with the 12v battery putting it to the edge of serviceability. The twizy was there for the best part of 2 months, thanks to the bureaucracy of arranging number plates for it and so I think its a good possibility.

No doubt the best test will be “time”, will we get on better tomorrow :slight_smile: ?

Paul

Good luck Paul

Others have found the 12v battery can cause odd faults and it is always worth checking.

Hi all,

well put a few more miles on the clock yesterday ferrying about. As always its about getting people and cars in the right place to get everything home. Safe to say that by the end of the day we had taken the main battery to about 20% and probably had given the 12v a good work out. My Spanish can be a little vague sometimes but I believe they swapped out the 12v so it should be fresh but if Im wrong and its the original it will have had a good topping up done to it.

This morning everything started off as expected and my wife has the twizy at work and will be doing a run to her gym later on, this is basically the kind of work we got the Twizy for. She will no doubt run it with music to the max so we should learn pretty quickly whether weve got an underlying problem or if it was just the battery had a hard time in the 2 months sitting at the dealers.

Paul

There’s a good chance. Twizys are a magnet for kids, and kids like fiddling with switches. They can easily turn on the lights, for example, and this could easily result in a few “deep discharge” incidents. The kind of lead acid battery Renault use for the 12v system probably isn’t designed for that.

The Main Headlamps go out without the Key in the Ignition, only the Parking lights can be switched on without the key.

Andy

It beeps, too, though I don’t know how long for. Still, a weekend of sidelights would kill the 12v battery, wouldn’t it?

a weekend of sidelights would kill the 12v battery, wouldn’t it?

The 12v Battery draws off of the Traction Battery if it gets low.
The Renault Twizy Traction Battery is rated at 7kwh.
So in theory you could either draw 7000 watts for an hour, or 1 watt for 7000 hours (291 Days…)
So working on two rear lamps and two front sidelamps, that works out to approx. 50 watts in total.
That would work to 140 hours (5 Days & 20 Hours) before the battery was flat (I think…) :slight_smile:

Andy

Well whatever the cause it seems to be ok now after the 12v got replaced or topped up. All we can do is run with what we have now but so far so good.

Paul

The 12V battery only draws power from the traction battery when the ignition is on. So the side lights would flatten the 12v quite quickly if the lights were put on without the keys in the ignition.

I’m surprised that the complex electronics have not found a better way of needing the 12V just to charge etc. I would have hoped that it held a small charge to to maintain memory etc and only need the 12V to switch a relay minor current draw. From then it could rely on the traction battery to top up the 12V.

It is odd, especially when you consider that the operation of the vehicle depends on the 12V battery to get started. I assume it is a cost-saving measure, but it probably also decouples the design of non-traction and traction electrical systems. We had a couple of custom built converted petrol beach buggies the year before last, and the first prototype retained the 12v battery and electrical system of the donor vehicle. This was trickle charged from the traction battery when underway, but if it ever discharged we couldn’t even boot the controller for the traction system. After a couple of incidents, we changed to a different controller which powered itself from the traction battery and had a 12V output for the non-traction electrical system. Maybe the Twizy controller depends on a 12V external supply.

It is strange that Renault decided to fit a 12v Battery.
in the DIY electric car / bike world it is the poor mans option.
Most people fit a DC Convertor to knock the Traction Voltage down to 12 Volts.

Andy

[quote=“Normsthename;5667”]It is strange that Renault decided to fit a 12v Battery.
in the DIY electric car / bike world it is the poor mans option.
Most people fit a DC Convertor to knock the Traction Voltage down to 12 Volts.

Andy[/quote]

I would say the latter is the P M O. If relying only on the traction battery, if this goes flat you cannot simply plug in and the charging works - intelligent chargers usually are powered constantly so they can calculate the ever-decreasing load. It also keeps your sidelights lit if you deplete your main source. The Ion, co, imev and leave ALL have 12v satellite batteries for this purpose.

Hi all,

thanks to all for contributing to my original post. Sadly, around the 19th of August, the original problem re-occurred while I was in the UK visiting family. My wife had driven the Twizy to work, parked up as usual and when she returned the exact same symptoms returned. Key in and up to the penultimate position to do the boot up sequence and she had STOP / SERV lights and a flashing Neutral on the side panel and on the LCD display. The key was blocked from turning to “Go”.

So, she called out the tow truck and by the time she reached the dealership whatever power there was in the 12v battery had been there when she tried to start the Twizy had completely gone, the battery was totally dead. Unfortunately like most organisations during summer, when the exodus occurs, many key people were away and the ZE qualified mechanic was on leave until the 2nd of September so nothing has been done yet. Ive impressed upon them that as this is the second time with the same fault its time to get their sleeves up and get it sorted, and they acknowledged that just turning me around with a fresh battery wasnt going to cut it.

After owning the twizy from new for 7 weeks, and then having it sat in their workshop for two of those weeks hasnt made for a fun owning experience. It will take many many months of reliability after they fix it before we can go somewhere with the confidence that turning the key will allow us to get home again.

Paul

Bear in mind you have plenty of consumer rights when buying a new car from a main dealer, so if there is a problem with this fix and the car is not usable in a day or so, you could do down the rejecting the vehicle route.

If you buy new, you expect reliability and if there is an ongoing problem you have legal rights for recourse.

[FONT=Times]Ok just a quick update:
Visited the garage and the twizy was hooked up and charging. Noticed some paperwork iniside to do with the investigation which was basically a message chain between the mechanic and renault HQ. The 12v was extracted and found to be deformed and so they were investigating if the battery itself was defective of it was made defective by the charger. I got to see the battery they had pulled out and the top surface had become undulated.

The mechanic seemed a little upset that I had read the paperwork but hadn’t realised I was the owner but even then felt it was ‘internal’ and wasn’t for my eyes.

I made the case that as a preventative measure it would be better to replace the charger regardless, it seemed it took a month to kill the last battery so a day of cycling the replacement might not tell us anything but the garage people explained they were tied to following HQs lead and couldn’t do anything not authorised by them.

We shall see what tomorrow brings when the cycle has ended.

Paul[/FONT]

I wonder why they are so nervous of you seeing what the fault is on your own car?

Your last post was 19th August, over two weeks ago-have you been without the Twizy all this time? Replacement vehicle/courtesy car?

Hi mender,

Just to remind you, I’m a Brit living in Spain, just outside the west edge of Madrid. The Twizy had its first problem the first time on the 16th of July and it was suspected the 12v battery had been run down during a delay on getting number plates. We had the Twizy back for a month when, on the 19th of August, it had exactly the same kind of odd dash indications and refusal to start. Again the Twizy was taken to the garage from where it was sold.

Unfortunately, the ZE mechanic was on holiday at the time until the 2nd of September. As my wife was in Spain on her own and as she had a Peugeot, and as the guarantee only offers a vehicle after 24 hours, she didn’t get offered a vehicle. Long summer holidays are common in most organisations here in Madrid, both in private firms and the government and getting things done during July and August can be difficult.

Just to give you an idea on how things are different, the first time I booked in the Peugoet for a service they gave me date. The due date arrived and I drove the car there for booking in, they processed the vehicle and (it was a Monday) then I asked them when I could collect it… “oh it should be ready, Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest …”

I asked about and it seems that that is typical at a main dealer for any marque over here.

Paul

and to be fair…with many over here too!!