Weak Handbrake

My Twizy is due for its MOT in a couple of weeks time and I do not think the handbrake will pass :frowning:
If I put the handbrake on as full as I dare I can still push the car with a little effort…
When I adjusted the handbrake cable a month ago the left cable seemed very sluggish to operate.
Any ideas from those that have stripped the brakes what might have seized or needs adjusting?
The car had new pads fitted all round approx. 2000 miles ago at the Renault Dealer.

Andy

My car is the same.recently my return Spring mechanism was sticking. Sprayed some wd40 to cure it.
I’ve also noticed handbrake dosent seem to apply great force to lock wheels.ive still to check this out.
If you can jack up rear of car so both wheels are off the ground then gradually apply handbrake one click at a time then compare the force required to turn wheels.both wheels should lock at same time or require same force to turn eventually both wheels should be impossible to turn.the mot checks for imbalance .i.e one wheel turns and the other dosent.also handbrake should apply fully in roughly 5 clicks.if not tension cable .

Thanks Subevo
Where is the spring return mechanism located?

Andy

It’s external and attached to the rear caliper .you can see it when you operate the handbrake.on my car you could see the cable go slack when releasing the hand brake compared to the other side.

Thanks Subevo, I will have a look at the weekend. :slight_smile:
Hopefully it is nothing more than a spray of WD40 to fix the ‘Sticky’ side
If I can sort that side out hopefully it will allow me to adjust the handbrake cable correctly :slight_smile:

Andy

Jacked the car up today and the handbrake on the left hand side is not working at all.
The arm does not move at all even though the cable is pulling tight :frowning:
You can turn the hub by hand…
I tried spraying it with WD40 and giving the arm a helping hand with a tap and some wood but it would not budge in either direction
So it looks like it’s got to go into Renault to be sorted.
I will be mentioning to them that the brakes were serviced by them not many months ago…

Andy

Decided against taking the Twizy to an official Renault garage.
I have a feeling that they will say it needs a new caliper without trying to free the sticking caliper off.
I bet a new caliper is not cheap for the Twizy…
So I have booked in to a local garage who have said they will try to free the caliper :smiley:
Fingers crossed…

Andy

Today the garage tried to free the caliper but said it was seized solid :frowning:
Apart from the handbrake it passed the MOT
The garage has ordered a new caliper from Renault at a cost of £167…
They are on back order and it’s going to take a week to arrive from France.

Andy

Twizy went in today to have its new Caliper fitted.
Total cost including fitting was £230.14 inc VAT
Plus £45 for the MOT so legal for another year :slight_smile:
I got the seized brake caliper back from the garage and I will have a go at fixing it

Andy

Useless Garages…
Twizy had to go back in this morning because the brake pedal was a little spongy.
They are going to bleed the brakes again. …

Andy

Collected the Twizy and this time the brakes were OK
The guys excuse was that they didn’t take it for a test drive the first time…
But they managed to issue a MOT certificate for it…

Andy