Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

Why 52mph?

Does anyone know where Renault got the 52mph limit from? just seems an odd speed to limit it too, I so wish it would do 55mph, would just make it that much safer as in I’d be able to keep up with the lorries on my daily commute to work everyday on the bypass…

Other than that its great, got just over 600 miles logged on her now after nearly 3 weeks.

G.

52 MPH is approx 80kph. So it’s a French/Euro thing. Rather than have different s/w for each country it just converts Kph to miles.

Typically…lol, they should of accounted for the uk speed limits for the uk market of Twizys…

In the Netherlands, 84km/h is a bit too slow as well on the highways. Trucks do 89km/h. So they still creep up on me and slowely overtake me as well.

I would guess that it was a compromise speed that Renault set on the Twizy for speed over range.

Andy

Do you feel safe at that speed? Its a short wheebase, any urgent braking would likely swing you sideways?

has anyone had to do an emergency stop?

not raining on your parade but i had an SWB landrover and had to stop , it went crabwise in a heartbeat, but luckily didnt roll

Cheers

Robin

I had to stop suddenly at 35-ish, scared me, but it stopped ok, didn’t slide sideways.

Do you feel safe at that speed? Its a short wheebase, any urgent braking would likely swing you sideways?

has anyone had to do an emergency stop?

not raining on your parade but i had an SWB landrover and had to stop , it went crabwise in a heartbeat, but luckily didnt roll

Cheers

Robin

i don’t think that you can compare a 65+ Year old design that is very top heavy (and also heavy!) to a Twizy which carries its weight very low down.
For the record I have had to do an Emergency Stop from speed in the Twizy and it stopped very fast and straight :slight_smile:

Andy

Yes, it seems to be a commen problem, we need to find 3 mph from somewhere…lol

I had to do an emergency stop in the rain at 40mph. Someone pulled out a side turning in front of me, saw me half way through pulling out and stopped on my side of the road.

The Twizy didn’t stop, it just slid like it was on ice. Luckily there were no cars coming the other way so I just slid round them and carried on. Scary stuff though!

The twizy can be remapped to do 55mph and much more. I’m in the process of testing the safety aspects of this. You would not want the battery to overheat or the engine to run to high revs for extended period of time and not knowing its safe.

if all works out well, you will however need 1 x IXXAT interface unit with cables to connect to your diagnostic port and all the necessary software and tuning files.

I expect you know

has a 40 page pdf explaining all the tweaks
a Twizy could do 110kms/h if you are tired of living

When one member hit a lampost cos of a stuck throttle , his air bag didnt go off?

Its still only a quad bike with stiff suspension. Hitting potholes at speed?

BING! A Twizy with suspension from a 2CV

Robin :wink:

Sounds like a plan, please keep me informed, I’d only be after a small upgrade, 56mph would be a big and safter improvement that I would be intertested in.

So another question that’s been bugging me about altering the performance.
Could it be done the other way to improve the range?
For example limit the throttle to two thirds maximum?
I know if you manually limit the throttle to two thirds it will still do maximum speed but takes a lot longer to get there.
It must help the range running to that limit.
I am sure some people would be interested in such a Mod!

Andy

Just fix a little piece of wood or hard foam underneath the throttle. job done.