World's 1st Petrol-Powered Twizy

I recently considered purchasing a Renault Twizy for commutes, but was put down with the price, the battery lease, and performance factors.
Now, as far as I know, this isn’t a forum about “Electric Vehicles”, but rather about Twizies, so I guess I can post this topic (Admins, correct me if I’m wrong)

Anyways, I’m currently financially dependant, but what I hope to do, is purchase this rolling chassis and planting a petrol engine in it, or an LPG.
Supposing I could plant a 'Busa motor into it, and then prop it up to 400BHP, that would make this have a wicked power-to-weight ratio

Here are some images:

What I was thinking of installing was a racing steering wheel, like the ST8956SWD

For the engine, there are bunch of options such as a 'Busa engine, available on eBay here.

For the seat (singular, not plural, the rear seat space will be taken up by a fuel tank, battery, engine, and electronics), I have chosen a Kevlar racing seat from Corbeau

Now, for my design, here is a brief description of my idea:

Single seat, shifted forward from standard position.
Rear seat taken up by fuel tank, engine, ECU, battery, wiring, exhaust
Piping to front of Twizy, plug for re-fuelling (hole in the front will allow refuelling like a normal car)
Gears displayed on the steering wheel, paddle shift.
Dash panel replaced
Upgraded lexan windows with doors
Candy Purple paint (not decided yet, might go with Chameleon wrap, or British Racing Green)

Now, I need to know one thing: the dimensions/weight of the motor, the batteries and where they are located and how easy it is to get to them, regardless of warranty

i can’t wait to follow this build… I was the first and I say first to do this with a SMART in the US a lot of fun and a lot of tears. i wish you the best and Im with you… good luck!!!

You are absolutely MENTAL !!! :lol::lol:
Keep us entertained. We need some cheers and laughter for the new year!! Thanks.

Glad you guys enjoy the idea, I’m going to need funding though, the chassis costs 550 Euros. Would anyone be able to gather some funds?
I’m in contact with a friend of mine who might be able to make the tubular frame and install the seat for me.
I’ll be painting it.

I’ll be receiving help all throughout the project from a few motorcycle mechanics

Good luck-keep us posted :cool:

Where can I get help with funds? Your or anyone you know have a spare motorcycle engine lying around?

Check ebay for wrecked bikes, Hayabusa units go for a premium and I would also say that practically it would be too much for the Twizy; a cheap 600 unit would make it fly and cost a few hundred quid. With the weight of it 50bhp would make it go very well, over 100bhp would be more of an issue than a help if you’re building as a one-off on a tight budget.

Also, if it “sensible” it will pass tests and be possible to insure.

a cheap 600 unit would make it fly and cost a few hundred quid.

I wouldn’t use a 600cc Four cylinder engine, they are powerful but gutless low down the rev range.
You would be changing gear all the time to keep the engine on song.
I would pick an engine that was known for good torque over power :slight_smile:

Andy

Depends on the bike; whether it’s a low rev torquey plodder or a high revving screamer-just choose the right engine!

Now, I need to know one thing: the dimensions/weight of the motor, the batteries and where they are located and how easy it is to get to them, regardless of warranty

Have a look at:

http://www.vectrix-forum.de/components/com_joomlawiki/index.php?title=Bilder_des_Twizy_ohne_Verkleidung

engine is from ISKRA, battery from LG Chem
battery weighs around 100 kg

ludicrous, would be totally undriveable with anything over 50 bhp…you would roll it at the first bend. even with wider track and wider wheels it would be undriveable, fit it with a simple 25 hp quad bike engine, cost peanuts and you would not need to ask people to give you money…as if they would…

I was thinking of doing the same. Has anyone seen something like this being done?
I would actually love to have a hybrid combo. I would use the electric engine mostly, but would be fantastic to be able to travel further if needed.