Electric battery Earn £175 per month from your EV!
BMW i3 wrapped in adverts

ZCW Charging Map

Anyone noticed how truly dreadful the ZCW linked map is? I’m Glasgow- based yet accordin to the map there is not a single charging point of ANY description for 30 miles in any direction.

Considering (as an EV user of 5 years) I’ve been using sites here for this duration - the omissions make me wonder why a better data source is not pursued?

ZCW are a UK Charity 100% funded by driver donations NOT government handouts. ZCW have donated almost 500 Charging Stations across the UK which IMO is a fantastic achievement!

OpenChargeMap is a ZCW project that is trying to document charging station details for the benefit of all EV drivers. OpenChargeMap data is used in ~20 different apps today and will be used by motor OEM’s once data quality has been improved (something the [URL=“http://www.openvehicles.com”]OpenVehicle community is actively working on).

If you are unhappy with any of the ZCW efforts can I suggest you start a project of your own?

Just what we need - another half-assed incomplete database? Are you being remotely serious? What this needs is a health warning - so that users are not misled into believing that the data set is anything like representative or to be relied upon in any meaningful way.

Whilst I no doubt appreciate any advocacy group that supports the cause - ZCW needs a disclaimer that not all locations are shown. Did it never occur to you that Scotland’s largest city had not a single charge point? (When it has plenty!).

The end user is neither interested in funding or good intentions of donors - in much the same way ICE drivers have no interest in whether the fuel station they are being directed to is part of conglomerate cluster or an independent franchise. So why do you believe EV users are willing to be charitable.

Since you seem to advocate we have multiple competing databases (and from what I have seen so far, there are 6 or more) you no doubt get some joy out of knowing there are so many databases to check, whilst you sit by the roadside with 5 miles left on your battery and you face being stranded?

No wonder range anxiety is a very real worry for users - and that’s before you get to the incompatibility issues of charging points not being suitable for your vehicle

If anyone is planning another selective database of ad-hoc charging sites - I hope they’ll give up before their misguided efforts cause even more problems for embryonic EV users.

Can I suggest you undertake some basic research so that you understand the difference between ZeroNet and [URL=“http://openchargemap.org/site/”]OpenChargeMap? You might also try working with the EV drivers trying to make a difference rather than just complaining!

Remember no compulsion here… feel free to drive past the 269 ZeroNet charging locations in the UK and ignore the OCM and OVMS developments… personally they have helped me drive more than 46000 EV miles in the last three years, including a 3472 mile trip from the UK to Vienna and Zurich that I completed yesterday.

such a shame the UK Government didn’t take your advice when they funded the NCR (the least accurate database in the UK).

It does all desperately need collating. It’s a nightmare and all very off putting. I turn up at places to discover I can’t use many of them with the Twizy. I don’t know what schemes I need to be part of, do I need to pay, how welcome or not I’m going to be to sit for top up times / extended times.

I’m actively trying to encourage them along the north Kent area by talking to companies directly.

Kevin, Maybe we should have a chat so I can put some positive influence into North Kent that’s in keeping with what’s going on in the rest of the country and suits as many people as possible as they travel through.

Given a good choice of charging points I’d be aiming for the ones primarily where there is something to do for an hour or three. I find a maximum of 15 minutes clearing my nasal passages is a maximum.

The old ‘A’ road routes get you further on range with an EV while also reducing your charge times by significant amounts. The less you’ve used on a 2 hop run the less you have to sit for 3x as long to top up waiting for it to go back in.

I’m regularly pushing my range limits and learning some great ways to adapt to that.

Agreed… thats what EV drivers are trying to do with OCM… create a single, global, open source database of charging locations and capabilities that apps, websites, and OEM’s can use. We are even developing technology that will allow OVMS to automatically update the database every time someone uses a public Charging Station.

Today more than 150 incompatible charging apps/websites exist… EV drivers have a choice, get involved and solve the problem or wait 10 years until a dominant vendor exists.

ZeroNet focuses on locations where you can spend a morning, afternoon, or overnight… that’s why you’ll find it contains the National Trust, YHA, restaurants, golf courses, hotels, B&Bs, car parks, etc.

When some of the Twizy charger upgrade projects deliver ‘fast’ charging then you’ll have a lot more interest in range extension I’m sure.

I found the problem of points is using a local areas card scheme-here, I found you need their card to use the point, whereas it would be far better to have a single scheme for the entire country, plus one style of lead would be an obvious improvement.

I never had the confidence to try and go anywhere far without friends on the route, but these maps and points will come in time.

I can see both sides of the argument on this one: the maps, charge points and schemes are chaotic, but setting up a working nationwide scheme with different councils pulling in different directions and a lack of standardisation in the industry is a mighty task.

ZeroNet locations do not use cards to access electricity… we apply the KISS principle to EV charging.

The current chaos will continue until at least the general election in 2015 when the funding runs out… after that is anyones guess IMO.

We already have a european standard for charging connectors (Type 2) which has been adopted by the UK and will be in the EU clean fuel directive.

[quote=“Kevin Sharpe;5565”]Can I suggest you undertake some basic research so that you understand the difference between ZeroNet and [URL=“http://openchargemap.org/site/”]OpenChargeMap? You might also try working with the EV drivers trying to make a difference rather than just complaining!

Remember no compulsion here… feel free to drive past the 269 ZeroNet charging locations in the UK and ignore the OCM and OVMS developments… personally they have helped me drive more than 46000 EV miles in the last three years, including a 3472 mile trip from the UK to Vienna and Zurich that I completed yesterday.

http://wavetrophy.com/en/

such a shame the UK Government didn’t take your advice when they funded the NCR (the least accurate database in the UK).[/quote]

Why SHOULD I have to care about ‘understanding the difference’ between one type of mapping data and another? It the enterprise states its goal is to make an accurate online resource available to facilitate EV users, why should I have to even attempt to work out which is wildly inaccurate and which is overlooking sites established and used for 4+ years?

Of course it isn’t helped when the post provider/operator cannot even manage to locate the map pin even in the vicinity of the the socket - a quarter-mile distance is good enough (isn’t it, Chargemaster?). As for simply complaining, I spent be last five years adding details and data to a variety of websites to assist the community. The posts are still there, and operational - yet the data I provided has either been lost, overwritten, of vanished. So as an EV user who supported the concept and worked at making it better, it is somehow my failing that the multiplicity of mapping sites couldn’t keep to a common data set then embellish to provide a USP for their particular offering?

As for avoiding 269 ZN points - it’s fairly easy - there are none showing within range in any direction I would wish to travel. As I noted before, I’m only located in the largest city in Scotland - hardly a country backwater. As for the EV distance ‘milestone’ - overlooking this as either a stunt or the equivalent of willie-waving, it suggests you have missed the point of my real concerns. To make EV use succeed, we need easy access to recharge points. Not some logistics exercise to prove it can be done. P&O helpfully gave me a recharge on a ferry between Scotland and NI (as long ago as 2009) it made the local paper, and that was it.

Having BTDT on the pioneering front, its time to cease the showboating and make it a reality. As long as we have multiple databases, RF controlled access with unobtainable key-cards, we remain whistling in the dark.

As for NCR - this appears no better, but isn’t this a PodPoint initiative? And absolutely no use to Twizy drivers? As for the UK Govt funding - It appears whether public or private the data sets are as useful as an out of date railway timetable. But at least with that is if it is running and you get there on time, you can use it. Not be told you gave the wrong plug or card and its tough luck.

[quote=“Kevin Sharpe;5574”]ZeroNet locations do not use cards to access electricity… we apply the KISS principle to EV charging.

The current chaos will continue until at least the general election in 2015 when the funding runs out… after that is anyones guess IMO.

We already have a european standard for charging connectors (Type 2) which has been adopted by the UK and will be in the EU clean fuel directive.[/quote]

Who voted for that? Like turkeys not voting for Xmas - those of us legacy (and Twizy) users are watching their disenfranchisement simply because they got there early. And you see nothing wrong with that? If my local 13a posts disappear, I’ll be run off the road unless I pay additionally for a ‘solution’.

Type 2 has been the preferred UK Charging Station connector for several years… I suggest you ask Renault why they sold you a vehicle with an ‘old’ connector.

Given that vehicles require a resistor and a diode to support the Type 2 connector I don’t think we need worry about legacy vehicle charging (most of older vehicles on the WAVE event had already converted including a French Twizy).

you’re clearly hostile to the work that EV drivers are doing in this area… I’m not going to waste more time on this now!

Depending on who you listen to, why should Renault be blamed for providing a plug that is accepted across the UK? My vectrix too is a captive 13a lead. Why not go for Type 2? Where does that debate end - why not go for 3-phase? Neither the Twizy or Vectrix have the requirement for 16/32a charging - it is overkill.

There may also be Twizy users who will not thank you for being unable to recharge a home unless a dedicated Type 2 socket is installed - what I find incredible is that any 13a device is actively unsupported - or prohibits a grant application because of it. All aimed at ensuring Twizy users - unless they are happy to be blackmailed into paying £255 for a lead (or £65 for a T2 plug alone) are left feeling they’ve been set-up.

Not at all - just pointing out the futility of it.

‘Hostile’ ? As an EV driver since 2008,and one who did a lot of work in this regard, it is the realisation I shouldn’t have bothered Pioneers preceded you and it was all for nothing. If that’s all you’ve got to offer - this will fail too.

It needs far more than good intentions - the road to hell is paved with them. A professional approach is required to make it work, and from what I can see to date were nowhere near that.